Circulation Pump

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Ziabis, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I have a basic outside power filter.

So I figured that I needed a inside Aqueon circulation pump 500.

My question is, how important is it to have it on all the time? I seem to notice the
    fish swim around more if the circulation pump is off. How important as well is
    it to have a current inside? ie: for fish and plants?

I understand that it helps circulate and keep the water clear, especially the surface... Is it ok
    if I leave the circulation pump off for a time during the day?

Thank you...

2. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I don't know, but I would like to!

Hopefully someone that does will pitch in soon.

3. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Ultimately, I guess it would be proper to have a circulation pump on either side?

My budget is low, would you recomend getting a newer power filter and which one?My filter now is 2 years old and its the base model you get when you buy a tank kit from petsmart? Or just get another circulation pump?

4. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

When I bought my 55 kit I bought another filter just to double it all up and make it look even on both sides. Plants sway a little but and do decent but I'm in a fert issue now

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

For a 30 gallon tank, you could get a little mini power head - you wouldn't need anything powerful. Sure you could turn it off. If the fish are living now without one, they'll live when you turn it off ;)

6. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

In a 30gal, I'd get an AquaClear 30 or 50 and run it *and* the filter you're using now, on opposite sides of the tank, like Mer-max posted. That should be plenty of circulation, with the bonus of giving you a backup filter for when your old one quits. I don't have a powerhead in my 29gal, but two HOB filters keep water circulating well.

7. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Another option is an air pump on the opposite side of the filter.

8. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I use the Koralia Nano circulation pump. I was looking for a pump that wouldn't blast fish and plants around but provide gentle circulation so I got the Nano and I am very pleased with it.

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, a well positioned air stone is a good choice for augmenting circulation in a smaller tank where a power head would be overkill. IMO a 30 inch tank is in that in between zone - larger go for a power head, smaller go for an air stone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice