Circulation Pump Placement In 75g Co2 Tank

yannifb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got these two 520gph circulation pumps in but I’m not sure how to place them to help out my plants best (and fish once I stock the tank).

I’ve attached a picture of the whole tank and where I currently placed one of the pumps (didn’t know what to do with second). The one pump is where it is to try and keep the co2 from the diffuser in the water longer, and get the bubbles near the HC patches in a the front of the tank. Now I’ve heard some people angle it to push the diffuser bubbles towards the opposite end of the tank where the drop checker is, but I’m not sure.

Because of its current placement the water creates a pushback against the glass and flows back towards the back. It does seem to disperse the co2 well but I’m iffy about the placement.

Attachments

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like in the second post.If you use both have them point in same direction for flow instead of opposing.
Complete circulation happens best with them working together.
Otherwise I think the one along the back is best circulation under and through filter intake/flow.

yannifb

Valued Member
Reaction score
@coralbandit the second being the one with the diffuser and pump at the rocky side right? The good thing about the pump is it pushes the bubbles fast enough so that they dont get sucked into the filter intake. Do you think it makes sense to keep the diffuser away from the planted area though? I initially kept it on the tree side because I thought it'd be best for the carpeting plants under, but maybe the pump changes the story.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea with the rocks .
Push it along back and them maybe second to push it across the front and keep flow down to carpet ?

yannifb

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about that- the only issue is when I put one of the pumps in the config of the first picture, the substrate at the bottom front of the tank gets kicked up a little bit (very minor, but over time will probably make an indent-- using black sand btw).

I'll keep the second config for a couple of hours and see how the drop checker, which is now on the tree side, looks. It's already greener than I've ever seen it prior to the pump so thats a good sign. As long as the CO2 is getting dissolved in the water it should be good enough for the HC carpet right? As in it doesnt need to have the bubbles directly on top of it.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Position one on the port upper towards the front and the other 6" off the deck starboard. This will maximize circulation ratio for you.

yannifb

Valued Member
Reaction score
@NavyChief20 After a couple of hours I'll try that and see if I can get the port one set up so it doesnt kick up dust at the bottom front-- if the drop checker goes green with the one I think I might be good to go though. Funny how the co2 seems to work better when its away from the plants... pesky fluid dynamics.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@NavyChief20 After a couple of hours I'll try that and see if I can get the port one set up so it doesnt kick up dust at the bottom front-- if the drop checker goes green with the one I think I might be good to go though. Funny how the co2 seems to work better when its away from the plants... pesky fluid dynamics.
Lol yep. Fluid dynamics is one of the things i teach. With circulation its alot of trial n error but also alot of beer n math.

yannifb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good news, after a few hours with the single pump and diffuser at the rock side, the drop checker across the tank at the tree side has finally turned green! And its a nice full green, not bluish green. So I'm assuming if theres enough co2 saturation where the drop checker is, it stands to reason that the co2 levels at the carpet should be ideal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom