Cinnamon tree?

shrimpyay

I haven't been able to find a reliable answer online anywhere else, and when I posted on a gardening specific forum never got an answer, so I don't really expect anything, but it can't hurt to ask!

Back in late April my SO picked up a ceylon cinnamon tree sapling about 10 inches tall for me as a birthday gift. We replanted it into a bigger pot using a mix of potting soil and peat moss as recommended on a website about it, and have been keeping it indoors under a grow light, watering it moderately whenever it got dry 2 inches down, as recommended. It seemed to be doing fine, and grew two baby leaves, but when the leaves got to be the same size as the older ones, they started turning brown and looked like they had some kind of disease--so, after finding nothing online, I eventually clipped them off in the hopes of preventing anything from spreading.

Since, over the course of about a month, the other leaves have begun turning brown. Not wilting or going pale--just slowly spreading patches of brown. We're treating with a copper-based antifungal just in case (we had some fungal problems with our tomato plants this year) but can't find anything online that matches. It looks kind of like stock photos for a nutrient deficiency (not in cinnamon trees--we can't find any photos for that) and we're going to see if we can find a fertilizer when we go to the hardware store later this week. I was just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with cinnamon plants and has seen something like this before.

I don't want to clip off all affected leaves, because this thing has 6 leaves total, and all are effected!

shrimpyay

Here seems to be a very comprehensive guide on cinnamon disease.

Where'd you buy your tree? I'm setting up a tropical grow room in my basement and hadn't considered cinnamon. Currently have two coffee bushes and a banana plant.
Thanks! We've actually looked at that place before, but none of the symptoms seem to match the descriptions exactly. Wish they had photos!

He got it from someone on Etsy. It came in the mail and seemed to handle the shipping pretty well. I think the seller was down in FL, but don't quote me. I can ask him to look in his email for the seller after work if you like.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ipman37
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Smalltownfishfriend
  • Ponds
Replies
Views