Cinder Block Tank Stand/Shelving

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I decided to build a cinder block tank stand. I saw this while researching cheap/DIY tank stands, and actually really like how it came out. I used 9 cinder blocks measuring 6 x 8 x 16, along with two 10 foot 2x10's cut in half and stained with an ebony color.

This stand was built with the intention of carrying my new 55 gallon, but after building it I think I will get another 3 cinder blocks to increase the height, and place my 10 gallon Betta tank beneath the 55 on the left side. On the right, I plan to put one of those cloth bins/drawers for equipment.

Really awesome, cheap (under $30) and convenient tank stand design for anyone who wants to give it a shot!

Attachments

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sure it doesn't matter but i think the contrete is stronger when stood up on end [like in foundations]. Are you using the other underside for a filter or can you swueeze another 10 in there?

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Reaction score
jpm995 said:
I'm sure it doesn't matter but i think the contrete is stronger when stood up on end [like in foundations]. Are you using the other underside for a filter or can you swueeze another 10 in there?
With the holes up and down? Actually if I do that I might not need to get more blocks as it will give me a few extra inches for that tank. Let me adjust those cinder blocks right now and take measurements, I'll let you know if another 10 would fit in a minute

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hope i'm not making more work for you. For a 55 gal it probably isn't necessary.

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Reaction score
jpm995 said:
Hope i'm not making more work for you. For a 55 gal it probably isn't necessary.
Awesome news, now with the increased height and width of each compartment the underside will easily accommodate two ten gallons! The height of each compartment is now about 15.25 inches and the widths are 21.5 inches. Perfect for a snugly fitting 10 gallon, an under cabinet light and a small filter (depending on the system you're using).

Not more work at all. In fact, you just saved me three more cinder blocks! :)

Attachments

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
crazyshot97 said:
Awesome news, now with the increased height and width of each compartment the underside will easily accommodate two ten gallons! The height of each compartment is now about 15.25 inches and the widths are 21.5 inches. Perfect for a snugly fitting 10 gallon, an under cabinet light and a small filter (depending on the system you're using).

Not more work at all. In fact, you just saved me three more cinder blocks! :)
I'm glad that worked for you, and jpm995 was right. The blocks are stronger that way.

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
I'm glad that worked for you, and jpm995 was right. The blocks are stronger that way.
Two birds with one stone. Now I know for when I inevitably put together more

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It does look better higher like that.

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Reaction score
qquake2k said:
It does look better higher like that.
Agreed. Not winning any design awards, but it doesn’t look terrible. Much better than I expected just looking for a cheap stand alternative

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me.

CarolinaFishbone

Reaction score
I like the look.
I've seen them painted too. Changes the look

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Reaction score
CarolinaFishbone said:
I like the look.
I've seen them painted too. Changes the look
I was considering painting the blocks white before putting the 55 up top. I think the contrast on the dark ebony wood stain would look nice. We’ll see I gotta look at it a little while longer

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks great

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom