Cinder Block Tank Stand/Shelving

crazyshot97

Hey guys!

I decided to build a cinder block tank stand. I saw this while researching cheap/DIY tank stands, and actually really like how it came out. I used 9 cinder blocks measuring 6 x 8 x 16, along with two 10 foot 2x10's cut in half and stained with an ebony color.

This stand was built with the intention of carrying my new 55 gallon, but after building it I think I will get another 3 cinder blocks to increase the height, and place my 10 gallon Betta tank beneath the 55 on the left side. On the right, I plan to put one of those cloth bins/drawers for equipment.

Really awesome, cheap (under $30) and convenient tank stand design for anyone who wants to give it a shot!

jpm995

I'm sure it doesn't matter but I think the contrete is stronger when stood up on end [like in foundations]. Are you using the other underside for a filter or can you swueeze another 10 in there?

crazyshot97

jpm995 said:
I'm sure it doesn't matter but I think the contrete is stronger when stood up on end [like in foundations]. Are you using the other underside for a filter or can you swueeze another 10 in there?
With the holes up and down? Actually if I do that I might not need to get more blocks as it will give me a few extra inches for that tank. Let me adjust those cinder blocks right now and take measurements, I'll let you know if another 10 would fit in a minute

jpm995

Hope i'm not making more work for you. For a 55 gal it probably isn't necessary.

crazyshot97

jpm995 said:
Hope i'm not making more work for you. For a 55 gal it probably isn't necessary.
Awesome news, now with the increased height and width of each compartment the underside will easily accommodate two ten gallons! The height of each compartment is now about 15.25 inches and the widths are 21.5 inches. Perfect for a snugly fitting 10 gallon, an under cabinet light and a small filter (depending on the system you're using).

Not more work at all. In fact, you just saved me three more cinder blocks!

JettsPapa

crazyshot97 said:
Awesome news, now with the increased height and width of each compartment the underside will easily accommodate two ten gallons! The height of each compartment is now about 15.25 inches and the widths are 21.5 inches. Perfect for a snugly fitting 10 gallon, an under cabinet light and a small filter (depending on the system you're using).

Not more work at all. In fact, you just saved me three more cinder blocks!
I'm glad that worked for you, and jpm995 was right. The blocks are stronger that way.

crazyshot97

JettsPapa said:
I'm glad that worked for you, and jpm995 was right. The blocks are stronger that way.
Two birds with one stone. Now I know for when I inevitably put together more

qquake2k

It does look better higher like that.

crazyshot97

qquake2k said:
It does look better higher like that.
Agreed. Not winning any design awards, but it doesn’t look terrible. Much better than I expected just looking for a cheap stand alternative

saltwater60

Looks good to me.

CarolinaFishbone

I like the look.
I've seen them painted too. Changes the look

crazyshot97

CarolinaFishbone said:
I like the look.
I've seen them painted too. Changes the look
I was considering painting the blocks white before putting the 55 up top. I think the contrast on the dark ebony wood stain would look nice. We’ll see I gotta look at it a little while longer

Dennis57

Looks great

crazyshot97

A little update. Loving it

Sorg67

I am going to try a similar design. This was very helpful.

Is there enough room to get to the top of the 10 gallon tank for easy maintenance?

I am considering this for a 29 and a 20. They are currently side by side. Maybe I will even line up the 29, 20 and two 10s all next to each other.

I am wondering if it is better to make separate stands or one long stand. If I do one long stand, I wonder if three stacks of blocks is enough. the 29 and 20 are each 30 inches. Maybe a foot between them. 72 inches total.

If two separate stands, I am thinking that for 29 or 20 I do not need the middle support.

Also considering 2x4s along the floor so the cinder blocks are not sitting directly on the floor.

I like the dark stain you used. I think I will paint the blocks. Maybe black.

kallililly1973

That’s the same stands I did for my 20 long and 29 but I went with 4 blocks on each side just give some room underneath for a canister and I painted my cinderblocks with a roller. I also have my 10 on a stack of 4 cinders with 3/4’ plywood like pedestal stand.

Sorg67

Very helpful. Thanks kallililly1973 .

My fish room floor is carpeted. I am considering putting 2 x 4s along the floor for the blocks to sit on.

I do not have a canister, but I am considering some shelving. Perhaps a shelf between each block. Probably not though. I like the way you have the 29 set up. I might space the blocks far enough apart so I could fit a 10 in there. Maybe for a QT tank. Or experimental tank. Or perhaps I will switch out the HOBs for a canister at some point. Lots of flexibility.

I like the single stack for the 10. Looks precarious, but I suspect it is actually very stable. I was thinking perhaps a three stack stand that would support two 10s side by side.

kallililly1973

Sorg67 yes I like that I did one cinder then the plywood then the other three cinders as a shelf for both the 20 and 29...the 10 is only a bit wider all around compared to the cinders i think they were 8x8x16.. I just made the plywood overhang to have a little shelf around it also I put it on 2 granite tiles and when u think about it even being a 10 it still weighs around 100 pounds when full so I feel it’s very stable even with my 66# dog running around near it

FinalFins

I was wondering how stable the cinder block stands are? I've seen people create fishrooms with these kinds of stands and I would assume once it reaches a certain height it has the danger of toppling down?

kallililly1973

FinalFins said:
I was wondering how stable the cinder block stands are? I've seen people create fishrooms with these kinds of stands and I would assume once it reaches a certain height it has the danger of toppling down?
But I think when they design them they are also using 2x8 or 2x10 boards which should make them much more stable than you would think. Just my assumption and even if it had 4-5 10-20 gallon tanks stacked on top of each other that’s some serious weight so I think it would take a car coming through the wall to take it down.

Sorg67

kallililly1973 said:
I think it would take a car coming through the wall to take it down.
I live in Florida. The way people drive here, a car coming through the wall is a distinct possibility.....

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom