Cinder Block Tank Stand/Shelving

  • Thread starter

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
33
Points
28
Hey guys!

I decided to build a cinder block tank stand. I saw this while researching cheap/DIY tank stands, and actually really like how it came out. I used 9 cinder blocks measuring 6 x 8 x 16, along with two 10 foot 2x10's cut in half and stained with an ebony color.

This stand was built with the intention of carrying my new 55 gallon, but after building it I think I will get another 3 cinder blocks to increase the height, and place my 10 gallon Betta tank beneath the 55 on the left side. On the right, I plan to put one of those cloth bins/drawers for equipment.

Really awesome, cheap (under $30) and convenient tank stand design for anyone who wants to give it a shot!
 

Attachments

jpm995

Well Known Member
Messages
1,245
Reaction score
304
Points
128
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sure it doesn't matter but i think the contrete is stronger when stood up on end [like in foundations]. Are you using the other underside for a filter or can you swueeze another 10 in there?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
33
Points
28
jpm995 said:
I'm sure it doesn't matter but i think the contrete is stronger when stood up on end [like in foundations]. Are you using the other underside for a filter or can you swueeze another 10 in there?
With the holes up and down? Actually if I do that I might not need to get more blocks as it will give me a few extra inches for that tank. Let me adjust those cinder blocks right now and take measurements, I'll let you know if another 10 would fit in a minute
 

jpm995

Well Known Member
Messages
1,245
Reaction score
304
Points
128
Experience
More than 10 years
Hope i'm not making more work for you. For a 55 gal it probably isn't necessary.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
33
Points
28
jpm995 said:
Hope i'm not making more work for you. For a 55 gal it probably isn't necessary.
Awesome news, now with the increased height and width of each compartment the underside will easily accommodate two ten gallons! The height of each compartment is now about 15.25 inches and the widths are 21.5 inches. Perfect for a snugly fitting 10 gallon, an under cabinet light and a small filter (depending on the system you're using).

Not more work at all. In fact, you just saved me three more cinder blocks! :)
 

Attachments

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
1,439
Points
173
Experience
Just started
crazyshot97 said:
Awesome news, now with the increased height and width of each compartment the underside will easily accommodate two ten gallons! The height of each compartment is now about 15.25 inches and the widths are 21.5 inches. Perfect for a snugly fitting 10 gallon, an under cabinet light and a small filter (depending on the system you're using).

Not more work at all. In fact, you just saved me three more cinder blocks! :)
I'm glad that worked for you, and jpm995 was right. The blocks are stronger that way.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
33
Points
28
JettsPapa said:
I'm glad that worked for you, and jpm995 was right. The blocks are stronger that way.
Two birds with one stone. Now I know for when I inevitably put together more
 

qquake2k

Valued Member
Messages
450
Reaction score
223
Points
203
Experience
More than 10 years
It does look better higher like that.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
33
Points
28
qquake2k said:
It does look better higher like that.
Agreed. Not winning any design awards, but it doesn’t look terrible. Much better than I expected just looking for a cheap stand alternative
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
876
Points
123
Looks good to me.
 

CarolinaFishbone

New Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
26
Points
18
I like the look.
I've seen them painted too. Changes the look
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazyshot97

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
33
Points
28
CarolinaFishbone said:
I like the look.
I've seen them painted too. Changes the look
I was considering painting the blocks white before putting the 55 up top. I think the contrast on the dark ebony wood stain would look nice. We’ll see I gotta look at it a little while longer
 

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Messages
592
Reaction score
451
Points
83
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks great
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom