Cinder Block stand for curve-front aquarium?

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Does anyone know where such a tank would need support the most? Rectangular tanks are easy, but do tanks with curves have special support needs?

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I would assume curved tanks are acrylic. Acrylic tanks need more support underneath the entirety of the base than the glass tanks do. Like you said, glass tanks are pretty simple. You just need four legs and supports for the edges of the tank. you don't really need anything in the middle. Acrylic tanks need support every few inches or so as the weight of the tank and water can make the acrylic bend.

How far out does the curve go from the reactangular part of the tank?

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

This tank is solid glass and weighs a tonne! The back and sides are straight but the front is an "S" curve, no flat spots whatsoever. At it's widest point it's 24" and I think 16" at the narrowest.

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm if it's glass then I would say that as long as the four corners are supported with legs and maybe a support in the center of the front and back it should be fine. I would draw the base shape out on a large piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut the shape out with a jigsaw so that the bottom is completely covered.

here is a thread of a person that build a stand for it. This one is really advanced but it can give you an idea of how he supported it

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/scott26s-90-gallon-wave-front-build.56629/

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, that's way beyond me! But I do own a jigsaw and I can cut a curve in plywood;)

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Then I say that as long as you support the bottom with some 2x4's and the cinderblocks are positioned on the corners you should be fine. Though some kind of support in the center may also be a good measure for peace of mind.

7. Jeepfisher Initiate Member

I would lay out the cinder blocks and lay 2x6's down under tank. Trace around the tank and use jigsaw to cut template. Then replace tank and fill. JMO

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Lumber has better compression strength in line with the grain. Perpendicular to the grain is not so strong. That's why I'm looking at getting marine-grade plywood. Regular plywood will do but the marine version is more resistant to moisture;)