cichlids

joe

Reaction score
I am getting a new 12 gal. tank and was wonder if I could get cichlids. If I can I was wondering if they r hard to keep and the maintnence required for them. also what food and tank set-up they would like.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
A 12 gal. tank is not big enough for most cichlids, but it would be a good size for some of the shell dweller species. They are quite interesting fish, and would be a little more unique than most tanks that size. Here is a great link to give you some information on these interesting fish:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shellies(shelldwellers) are very interesting little fish and very prolific. Gunnie and I both have them. They are very easy to take care of.
Carol

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
oooh they're cool! I didn;t even know they existed. You guys shouldn't tempt me!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Consider yourself tempted
Multis feeding:
Multis up close:

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
They are very cute - I like their lips especially - they look good for fishy kisses ;D

OP
J

joe

Reaction score
thanks for the new ideas

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neolamprologus BrichardI are beautiful fish who reach about 4 inches at maturity. They can also be a little aggressive and need plenty of room to claI'm territory. 12 gal. probably isn't big enough 3 but a pair might work. but personally I still like multis better. Their personalitys are so sweet.
Carol

dano569

Reaction score
your are probably right a 12 gallon might be to small for 3.if you had like a 20 or 29 that would be cool.when they pair off the other brichardI in the tank guard the entrance to the mating pair.a colony of them would be awesome!!!!!!.don't you think?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely a beautiful display in a larger tank.
Carol

New Threads