cichlids

1. joe Member Member

i am getting a new 12 gal. tank and was wonder if i could get cichlids. If i can i was wondering if they r hard to keep and the maintnence required for them. also what food and tank set-up they would like.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

A 12 gal. tank is not big enough for most cichlids, but it would be a good size for some of the shell dweller species. They are quite interesting fish, and would be a little more unique than most tanks that size. Here is a great link to give you some information on these interesting fish:

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/shellweb/shell_intro.htm

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Shellies(shelldwellers) are very interesting little fish and very prolific. Gunnie and I both have them. They are very easy to take care of.
    Carol

4. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

oooh they're cool! I didn;t even know they existed. You guys shouldn't tempt me!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Consider yourself tempted ;)
    Multis feeding:
    Multis up close:

Attached Files:

6. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

They are very cute - I like their lips especially - they look good for fishy kisses ;D

7. joe Member Member

thanks for the new ideas

8. dano569 Member Member

YOU COULD GET 2 OR 3 BRICHARDIS

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Neolamprologus Brichardi are beautiful fish who reach about 4 inches at maturity. They can also be a little aggressive and need plenty of room to claim territory. 12 gal. probably isn't big enough 3 but a pair might work. but personally I still like multis better. Their personalitys are so sweet.
    Carol

10. dano569 Member Member

your are probably right a 12 gallon might be to small for 3.if you had like a 20 or 29 that would be cool.when they pair off the other brichardi in the tank guard the entrance to the mating pair.a colony of them would be awesome!!!!!!.don't you think?

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Definately a beautiful display in a larger tank. ;)
    Carol