cichlids

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
YAY!! I htink im geting cichlids! My teacher said he would give them to me since he is moving.

Its a 30g tank with with about 6 in it

How is the best way to move an established tank?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Best way I think is to drain say half or more of the water move the tank to your house after you have take your fish out of it and put them in bags and get that filter running again real fast, try to keep it in the tank water so the bacteria doesn't die. Though I think you can take all the water out leave the decorattions in move the tank as fast as possible set it up, put the water it rearage the decorations and put the live plants bak in if there are any turn the filter on and heater, once it's at the right temperature gradually let the fish back in since with the same filter and gravel you should have the tank cycled but just monitor it for awhile.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of taking all the water out but a few inches in the botom to keep the gravel wet. And puting the rest in buckets? would this work? the tank is an houre away....

Kanadian

Reaction score
with cichlids just make sure there are lots of caves/ hidding spots as they love to nest within cave type things and claim them as theirs! i know mine love all the shale slabs i've made into cave type things

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its usually best to drain as much of the water as possible when moving the tank. Besides being heavy it can cause the tank to leak if it is lifted or twisted the wrong way. I usually put water from the tank in clean buckets and put the fish in them then add the water and fish back to the tank when I get where I'm going. Hope that helps
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom