Cichlids

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by stiglitz, Apr 19, 2012.

1. stiglitz

stiglitz Well Known Member Member

Can African Cichlids be with American Cichlids? I have an african cichlid in my 55 gallon with my two jack dempseys, one black convict, and white cichlid (i think he's a midas..?) and he gets picked on a lot. The white cichlid and the black convict stick together as a pair, the two JD's stick together as a pair, and my little african cichlid is alone to fend for himself :( if he continues to get picked on, should i get another african cichlid to accompany him and see if it helps?

p.s all i know is he's an african cichlid, i dont know what specific type.. he looks like the bottom orange fish in this picture:

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would rehome your african :(
    They can exist but they require different foods/water specs and would be much better in a tank full of other africans

4. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

That's what i thought, thanks everyone, just needed a second opinion... stay tuned for a post by me in the fish identity section because i really wanna figure out what type of cichlid my white one is.

5. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I was just going to say, your white one might be an african as well

6. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

my white one doesn't really look like the shape of an african. he's the shape of a midas, and he's one of the more dominant cichlid's in my tank. also, if he was an african he wouldn't be chasing my orange african cichlid like he always does. i'm going to post a picture of him in the fish ID section now :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice