cichlids

1. deon junior Member Member

hi i need some help for stocking my new 40gl with cichlids. here are all of the cichlids that the lfs that i buy from ( i have never bought bad fish from here) stock. i need suggestions on which would be good and how many.

convicts-$10
    peacocks-$20-$25
    zaire river blackheads/humpheads-$17
    cobalt blues-$19
    yellow labs-$24
    mel. auratu-$16
    neo. meeli-$22
    kribs-$15
    brichardi-$11
    astatotilapia burton-$18
    green texas cichlid-$20
    firemouth-$25
    red forrest jewel-$11
    Rainbow ciclids-$15
    Chocolate cichlids-$21
    siel. synspilleum-$20

thank you to all suggestions

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I can only tell you what experience I have with my cichlids.
    40 Gallon Tank:
    1 Peacock Cichlid,
    5 Red Zebra,
    4 Yellow Labs,
    1 Demasoni,
    1 HapElectric Blue,
    1 Albino Zebra,
    1 Algae Eater,
    4 Pseud. Elegans,
    1 Red Lobster,
    1 Moss Ball
    This is what I have stocked in my 40 gallon. It may seem like alot, but you need to keep the stocking up with cichlids to keep the in fighting down. I am very happy with my choices. It is very colorful, very busy, and easy to keep once it is cycled.
    The one fish I would NOT recommend on your list is the green texas cichlid. I know they get very big and very aggressive. You could only keep one if that in a 40 gallon.:;nin2

:;wv
    P.S. My 40 gallon tank is soon to be upgraded to a 60 gallon tank. I am moving all my tanks a size when I purchase my 100 gallon tank.
    :;wv

3. fighter55 Member Member

You could get 2 Convicts in a 40, but if they happened to be male and female you would get ALOT of Convict fry all the time, and you really wouldn't be able to put in any other fish, as they can get really aggressive towards fish during spawning(which as I said before, is always!) You could try a pair of fire mouths as well, since they aren't all that aggressive, they just puff themselves up, but they still can do damage. If you were to get fire mouths you would really only be able to put in maybe an armored catfish(plecos).

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Personally, I would not stock like that at all. That's way over crowded.

For long term success in a 40 gallon, I would stick with things like Convicts and Jewels. If you put lots of hiding places and areas where they can establish a territory, I would do 2 Cons and a pair of Jewels. They would probably breed like crazy :D Also, a firemouth could work in a 40 gallon.

Also, the Texas gets too big for a 40 gallon. I would avoid it.

You could also probably do Kribs and Rainbows together. The Kribs and Rainbows are less aggressive from what I've read, so Don't keep them with more aggressive species like the Convicts and Jewels.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Jewel Cichlids. Here's what mine looks like https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/cichlids/112885-jewel-aquarium.html

5. josh7 Well Known Member Member

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think a 40 would be big enough for 10 tiger barbs. Also, Tiger Barbs have a tendency to kill each other, I personally will not buy any more.

7. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Cichlidnut, aren't jewels African cichlids? And convicts south American? Correct me if wrong.

8. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Jewels are african and I have never had tiger barbs kill eachother in a larger group I have never had issues with them.

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Jewels are Africans but are very similar to Convicts.

10. fighter55 Member Member

IMO, if you have a pair of Convicts you should keep them with large fish that can hold their own(Oscars) or no fish at all, and Oscars won't fit in a 40. Even though Convicts are smaller, they can easily do serious damage to most fish.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Jewels have pretty much the same Temperament as Convicts, this is why I recommend them.

12. deon junior Member Member

could i maybe do like

1 convict
    1 jewel
    2 brichardi
    2 peacocks
    1 pleco

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Bichardi are Lake Tanganyika and need to be kept differently. Peacocks are Lake Malawi. If you want to do an African Cichlid biotope, you're going to need lots of rock work. Now, If you were to do Convicts, Jewels and fish like that, you wont need the rock.

You might be better off with Rainbows and Kribs.

What type of Pleco? I do not recommend getting anything other than a Bristle Nose. Common Pleco's get way to big.

14. fighter55 Member Member

I wouldn't recommend getting a pleco at all. To the cichlids when spawning, even a pleco will most likely not be tolerated.

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I disagree with that. As long as plenty of hiding places are provided, a BN should be fine. Convicts are more concerned with defending their spawning area, rather that hunting down and killing everything in the tank.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Mine kill each other, even in a larger group in a 55. For some reason I keep buying more....

17. fighter55 Member Member

I don't mean it as in hunt-and-kill, I just meant that if the BN just so happens to get in their territory, it will be considered as a threat, and possibly injured.

18. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It doesn't even sound like he wants a breeding pair. I really don't think there would be anything to worry about.

19. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Really am I the only one that has tiger barbs that don't kill eachother. But I agree with cichlidnut that BNs should be fine.

20. deon junior Member Member

ok how would this be

4 jewels
    1 convict
    1 firemouth
    1 pleco (maybe)

or

6 jewels
    1 pleco