Cichlids Tank Mix

1. JasonUT801

JasonUT801 Initiate Member

I have a tank mixed with cichlids. They seem to be doing good right nowin my 55g. I'll be putting them in a 220g tank in two months. Do you think they'll be fine. 20180525_194213_083.jpg 20180525_194213_028.jpg 20180525_194213_083.jpg 20180525_194213_028.jpg 15272996183032810784440554248627.jpg 15272996389017800837650597750258.jpg

Attached Files:

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

they should be fine, moving them up in aquarium size won't cause any problems. Just something i noticed though, i want to make you aware that you have some opaline gourami with your cichlids.

3. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I see some bumble bee cichids, some blue gourami (shouldn't be kept with African cichlids). Some blue zebra and perhaps a red zebra or two, tiny frontosas, and a "fairy" cichlid. Also some convicts.

I suggest you do either American or African cichlids, not both. Convicts and gourami require different water parameters to Rift lake cichlids. The Frontosas will get huge (10in+) while the mbuna (bumble bees, zebras) will stay smaller and more aggressive than frontosas. In the larger tank they might be alright together, but I can't say for sure if the peace will be kept in the next couple of months.

Also, the fairy cichlid will stay relative small compared to the other Africans and I don't think it will be able to hold it's own when they are all adults. Usually it is better to keep mbuna with mbuna, haps with haps, and substrate spawners with other substrate spawners. It kinda evens the playing field for all fish that way.

4. OP
    OP
    JasonUT801

JasonUT801 Initiate Member

I'll be moving some of the fish into different tanks when they finish cycling. Can you tell the sex of the bumblebees?

5. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Member Member

yeah africans shouldnt be kept with s.america/c.america cichlids, africans are a different breed of aggressive and they’re all huge

6. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Photos aren't the best and they are probably too young to sex just by looking anyways. You can bet the most aggressive one is a male though. Males will turn nearly all black/brown with some yellow stripes while in breeding mode, otherwise they will all look black and yellow.

If you want to try catching them all and looking at their vents, you can probably figure out who is what. Males have 2 holes the same size, females have one hole a bit larger than the other. Otherwise you'll just have to wait and see.

7. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Member Member

They should really be kept with their own species and even then problems can arise. When I first started my chiclid tank all the fish did amazing together and it stayed that way for months. Before I knew one fish started killing the others. I removed him then another one started being a bully. They are some what un-predictable fish and what may seem fine now might not be later. When keeping chiclids it's actually a good idea to place them with a good amount of other chiclids (Again same speices or at least genus), it can help waver some of the aggression.

8. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Member Member

This is precisely how it happens with cichlids, you seemingly have 'friendly, co-habitating' fish and then all it takes is a click in one of their brains and that one is the tank boss and will destroy anything it wants. African Cichlids can tear apart fish twice their size, they're relentless and will not stop until they kill the fish they do not like. It's not worth the stress of the fish, or the money you invest.