Cichlids stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mikerox29, Jul 21, 2015.

1. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Hi everyone,

I would like to know some ideas for a rare cichlid species tank. Any reccomendations of species are greatly appreciated. I just want something that is not often seen in the hobby.

Tank size isnt really an option as I have a range of tanks from 60L to 500L

Thanks

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

American or African cichlids?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

BDpups asked an important question. It would also help if we knew the tank size.

Less importantly your budget should be kept in mind too as we give you suggestions. some hard to find cichlids will come at a price and big box stores like Petco and Petsmart probably won't be able to order them in, you might have to resort to Tropical fish stores or online.

4. OP
    OP
    m

mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Hi All,

I dont really have a budget on aquarium size or for the fish so I am literally open to anything. I would prefer Africans as I find them more entertaining. The biggest tank I would want to go would be 125 Gallons,

Thanks

5. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Peacocks,haps,mbunas,victorians,etc which africans do you like? Also i cant really recommend rare types because im in the US and your around the world so so something that is common for me can be rare for you.

6. OP
    OP
    m

Yes that is very true.
    I like Pundamilia Nyererei but want to know if this is considered a rare species?
    I know one species (Marmalade Cat) that is considered very rare where i live and I actually have source to get some of these but dont know much about their requirements and size,

7. LeoDiaz

Dom90 has some nyerereis in US there not rare idk were you live. I havent heard the name marmadale cat do you its scientific name?

8. OP
    OP
    m

The marmalade cat is [h=2]Labeotropheus trewavasae[/h]

9. LeoDiaz

Those are a type a mbunas that get around 7inches big. They need to be in a group of at least 1males 5females. They are herbivore fish, they also like circulation in there tanks so you will need a wavemaker they love oxygen rich water and rockwork.

10. OP
    OP
    m

Would they work in the 240L? Just a breeding colony with nothing else in the tank?

Thanks

11. LeoDiaz

For a fish that big i recommend atleast a 75gal/283liters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice