Cichlids... need info

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by guppygrl, Dec 18, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrlValued MemberMember

I'm a newbie and only have experience with guppies and now Molly and swordtails.

I hear people taking about cichlids and wanted some feed back on what made you get them and what makes them a good choice for fishkeeping.

Thanks.

2. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Guppygrl, yeah i have a bit of an interest in Cichlids. what really interest me in them is how interactive they are with you. whether it is Discus or Africans ( in my case) when i come into the room, they come to the front of the glass. they are very aware of your existence and want to be seen by you. Of course it has a lot to do with the fact that they know i have everything to do with "Food" but who cares.

3. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Good info. Are they considered large fish? I know nothing about them. Do they have different variations like what I'm currently stocking?

I have a 38 gallon hex. If I were ever to relocate my current fish to another tank... would I have room for them?

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Yes, my Cichlids are amazingly good at begging for food :D

Cichlids are a lot of fun. There are so many different species to choose from as well. I'm a Central/South American Cichlid guy.

5. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Some of them get quite big but there are smaller ones too, and yes the range of colours is quite amazing. Most are bigger and semi-aggressive which is why they are usually kept with other species of cichlis only.

6. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

What I have are likely pretty peaceful fish... except for the bratty molly's. Lol

I'll have to check them out at the LFS. I hear so many people discussing them. Wasn't sure what the fascination was. Are they a new breed?

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

There are over 1,000 species of Cichlid. Not all Cichlids are aggressive. Angelfish are a Cichlid. There are all sorts of dwarf Cichlids that go well in community tanks as well.

8. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I wish I had a larger tank!

Dear Santa.... lol

Wow over a thousand! Are they fresh water fish?

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Yes, all feshwater. some of them can survive mild brackish.

10. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Thanks for the info. My interest in them is increasing! Must wait a while tho til I can move my guppies to a new tank.

11. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

German Blue Rams are a very popular dwarf Cichlid. Look in to them :)

12. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Thanks... I will!

13. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I have Mbuna's (African / Lake Malawi), which are Cichlids. Love 'em! Like Disc said - They are quite friendly, "intelligent" and have the prettiest colors you can choose from.

Mbunas get anywhere from 3.5" to about 7", on the most part. A 55 Gallon would be the minimum for these types. Just thought I'd add that. :)

14. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Wowzers... I consider my 38 gallon big. Lol my landlord wouldn't like that. I live in a two story house and have room but I don't pay for water. Lol

Guess I'll be looking at the smallest cichlids some day. :)

15. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

It is definitely important to research the species you have in mind before buying. a 55 gl is a minimum for many and not big enough for many as well. with your 38 gl you could look at some rams i think that was mentioned earlier. you could also look at convicts ( just a pair for a 38 gl, and becareful as convicts breed like rabbits). Kribensis or "Kribs for short" would be a good choice for a mild mannered cichlid for a 38 gl. again, research before buying. important to remember that all Cichlids are agressive in nature, some more than others but when we mention mild it does not mean "no agression". and yes, literally 1,000's to choose from. there are 1,000's just with the African species alone, let alone new world and more. happy hunting, let us know if you have any questions. we love talking about Cichlids.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice