Cichlids in a community tank?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It depends on what type of Cichlids because there are so many kinds of them. Angelfish and Rams, for example, can be kept in community tanks (though you have to be careful with the angels so that they don't eat any small species!). You'd have to research which Cichlids you want and if they're compatible with a community tank and with whatever the fish you already have.

Now, about Bala Sharks. Do you know that they grow up to 16" in size? A 30 gallon tank is way to small for them - they'd need something like at least 75 gallons. They're peaceful fish but they will soon grow too large for your 30 gallon tank. And if you keep two 16" long fish in a 30 gallon tank their entire lives, they'll only suffer there having no space to move around. But, this is my opinion, of course. You'll do what you think is best. However my advice is for your own good and for the fish's good.

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Ive got a pair of Blue Rams and they seem to get on with every thing else.Like Isabella said do some research first that's what I did and then got the Blue Rams because they don't grow to big and are not aggressive towards other fish ,but spawning time can be another matter but that's to be expected .

OP
B

Blisster

Reaction score
Isabella said:
Now, about Bala Sharks. Do you know that they grow up to 16" in size? A 30 gallon tank is way to small for them - they'd need something like at least 75 gallons. They're peaceful fish but they will soon grow too large for your 30 gallon tank. And if you keep two 16" long fish in a 30 gallon tank their entire lives, they'll only suffer there having no space to move around. But, this is my opinion, of course. You'll do what you think is best. However my advice is for your own good and for the fish's good.
Yeah I figure I've got a little bit of time before they get that big I'm planning on a much larger tank in the future so they'll be okay!

fishfanatic

Reaction score
I have 2 gold severums and a firemouth in my 150 gal community tank and they get along with every thing else. They get 10" so need bigger tanks. Festivums are also said to be good fish for community tanks.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Blisster said:
Yeah I figure I've got a little bit of time before they get that big I'm planning on a much larger tank in the future so they'll be okay!
All right then Sounds good How large are they now?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom