Cichlids In A 20 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Shannon Griscom, May 28, 2018.

1. Shannon Griscom

Shannon GriscomValued MemberMember

My husband really wants cichlids but the only tank not in use is a 20 gallon tall tank. Are there any cichlids I could safely put in there? Maybe a pair and a bristle-nose and nothing else. Any suggestions?

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

3. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Cichlids get quite large from everything I have heard a 20 gallon wouldn't be large enough. Most plecos get large as well, tho I'm not sure about bn. I would research the different types of cichlids to find something that would be ok in that small of a tank. I have a widemouth pleco that stays pretty small only getting to around 3 inches long.

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Like i said Ram Cichlids

5. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

You must have posted right before me. Lol

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You could do a pair of German blue rams or a pair of Apistos? Then a small school of dither fish (~6-8, depending on species) and you'll have a nicely stocked tank :) I would leave out the pleco though - even for a BN pleco, I would go with a bigger tank. They're messy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice