Cichlids! How to look after them.

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by CluelessBettaOwner, Dec 19, 2012.

1. C

CluelessBettaOwner New Member Member

I was in the pet shop today, buying tetra food, when I saw the most gorgeous blue cichlid. Fell in love. I didn't buy it though because I have no where to keep it.
    I really want to see if it's possible for me too keep it. So...
    Are they solidery fish? Can I only keep it?
    If I can keep him, would I be able to keep it in a 30cm by 30cm by 30cm tank?? I really doubt it, but on the off chance I could, well that would make my day.
    Don't worry. I'll only get him if the answers to both this questions are yes. If not when we move house I'll see if I can get a bigger tank for cichlids.
    Another question. Would I be able to keep it in a tank this size for at very most a year. We have to sell our house first but then I would be able to move it into a bigger tank.
    Also can someone tell me or link to some great sites for cichlid care. What tank size would be appropriate.

I think I will end up keeping cichlids eventually because they are so cool!!
    Thank you.
    I will not be keeping that beautiful cichlid if I don't have appropriate conditions for it to live in.

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

In order for us to answer your questions, we need to know what species it was. There are over 1,000 different Cichlid species. Once you can tell was what kind, we can give you detailed info! :D

3. OP
    OP
    C

Ah it was blue... Petshop didnt say. It was on its own, and may possibly be full grown, as someone had returned it because they didn't want to keep cichlids any more. As a guesstimation it was about 3-4 inches?? I knew I should taken a picture, but I was too scared to asked the pet shop owner.
    I'll see if I can find a picture similar to it.
    I may be able to convince my parents to take me to get a bubbler. I'll get a pic of him them. He was a rather normal looking fish. He wasn't a peacock or convict because otherwise he would of been in the tank with them.
    But would it be possible for me to keep him in that tank if he was the right kind!

4. OP
    OP
    C

The last sentence has a question. A bit overexcited there.

5. C

If you get a picture we can usually ID it. Can't give you any info till we know what it is.

They may have had him in a separate tank to quarantine him, so that he wouldn't infect any other fish if he was sick.

6. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

I'm going to guess he looked something like this:

Electric-Blue-Cichlid.jpg

Electric Blue Cichlid

They're usually kept by themselves due to being "shy". They are very territorial and aggressive just like most africans. :)

7. C

There are many, many blue Cichlids out there :D

8. mmolitor87

For some reason those are the most common ones that are african and kept by themselves. Shot in the dark, here lol. If we can rule it out or jog a memory of a fin structure we might get somewhere.

9. OP
    OP
    C

It did hide when I walked up to it. Then it slowly came out. The peacocks swam at the front of the glass. It could be that one in the picture. I'll search them up on google. I'll see if dad can take my to see it. Or if I can ride up.
    Could I keep an African in that sized tank?

10. mmolitor87

:( Unfortunately African Cichlids need to be kept in groups. It would just hide and stress out if kept alone. Being in groups may bring up territorial aggression but it's what keeps them occupied and feeling "safe"...like everything is normal. I'd say a base of 10 Africans is best. That size tank isn't proper, I'm sorry.

11. OP
    OP
    C

Oh... What would be a proper size?
    Are there any types of cichlids that can be kept alone in that tank?? Gotta hope now that it isn't an African. I will check tomorrow hopefully.

12. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Even if the one you saw is not suitable, there will be 100's of fish that will be that you will fall in love with too, keep searching the internet and make sure to get any fishes living requirements from a good quality and reliable source so you know whether or not you can keep the fish in a healthy and comfortable environment, you will get so much more joy out of your fish if your fish are happy rather than if you get one that you really like the look of but it hides and looks dull because it is not happy in it's home!

13. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

How many gallons is your tank?
    What would be the proper size? that goes back to what fish we are talking about. Africans, as mentioned already need a group and a 55 gl is usually a minimum.
    Are there any types of cichlids that can be kept alone in that tank?? absolutely, as the nut already mentioned, there are literally 1,000's of species of Cichlids.
    As there are so, so many Blue cichlids a picture is the only way unless you can come across it on the net somehow.
    good luck

14. OP
    OP
    C

Yeah... I suppose I won't be able to get it. Ah well... This gives me plenty of time to learn how to properly take care of cichlid, instead of learning along the way. Thanks for your help everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice