30 Gallon Tank Cichlids for beginner, what's your opinion?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm going to try to take some pics over the weekend. They're both showing good color now, eating well and seem to be adjusting to the tank well.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pretty typical for any female to reject the male for awhile after being relocated. The males are always ready to go sooner than the females are. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. If she continues to totally reject him & refuses to be interested in the long term you may need to try a new female (remove the old one) if you want them to breed. If there's plenty of cover in the tank then they might well be able to share the tank without problem even if they do not pair up.

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Typically with kribs its the female trying to sell herself chasing the males all around until they pair.

For pairing and spawning the female will normally color up their bellies VERY dark and/or bright red and kind of do a sideways swim dance in front of the male trying to show her beauty (saying hey I am ready to spawn your babies).

Once the male accepts the female thats when the aggression can begin even if they are not activly spawning yet. The aggression I noticed is normally only towards other kribs at this point.

I would put some video up of it for you but I only have kribs that are already paired with no other kribs in the tank. Its very easy to know the courting dance once you see it and as I said it with kribs its the female who does the courtship dance.

Once they have paired when I have seen the males do their little dance when they are within a day or so of spawning. I have only ever watched the male do this after they have selected a cave or alcove to spawn in. He would then dance in front of it as though trying to coax the female in there to lay eggs. Once he does the female will lay eggs on the sides or roof of whatever they spawned in and the male will go in and fertilize them.

This is just my personal experiance with them,

Harry

Very fun and interesting fish.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, this all sounds very fascinating. Thanks Nutter and Harry so much for sharing your experience and thoughts. They are beautiful to watch and I'll still be happy with them even if they don't spawn.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! Even my husband is now addicted to watching krib courting.....

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice. Your first and last pictures would be GREAT ones to share for people who have a hard time sexing kribs.

Another thing thats really neat to see very easily is that the males can change color very quickly. Mine goes from a bland grey color with no stripe one second to a brilliant almost white with yellow and black stripes the next.

Very cool and good luck with them.

Harry

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, Harry...... it was difficult to get a picture of them that was clear and had them both at a good angle. Slippery little devils.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My husband doesn't allow me to pick up men anymore, so fish will have to do.....

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, IME angels do fine with smaller loaches given proper tank size (30 gallons or more).

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so glad that I ended up with the kuhlis, kribs and rummies..... they're great together.

Angels are pretty, though.

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lynda I just wanted to post this to show you what you will be looking forward too with your Kribs.

Have fun.

Harry

Attachments

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awwwwww Harry, that's a sight to see..... thanks for sharing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom