Cichlids for beginner, what's your opinion? 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by LyndaB, Apr 14, 2010.

1. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I have a 30 gallon tank that I will be restocking.

I know that I'll have loaches, but not yet sure which. Something peaceful though. Have had yoyo's, will stick with something about that size. So, the cichlids must be compatible with loaches.

Would love your opinions as to which might be suitable for a cichlid beginner (have blood parrots but those are like puppies, not fish, LOL).

Completely open as to stocking of this tank. Not settled on anything which is basically why it's not set up yet. :rolleyes:

:;thx

2. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

how about some angels :)

3. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Apistos, angels, rams, there are many species and color variations so hopefully that will help.

You could even have angels AND apistos or rams:)

4. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

even with the loaches? would there be enough space? never had apistos or rams so curious :)

5. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I honestly never thought of angels. Are there any that stay smaller? I always think of them as really big fish.

Have already been researching rams and apistos, thanks to harpua.

Keep your ideas coming. Love learning all about fish I've never had. :happy0064:

6. btate617Well Known MemberMember

I am not sure about the loaches, not too sure how much they can take.

A small species of cichlid that would work in that size tank is Laetacara.
    Laetacara Dorsigera and Laetacara Curviceps are commonly avaliable in the states.

Brian

7. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't have more than a pair of apistos or rams in a 30g so I would think they'd be fine.

Territory or behavior wise, I can't see any conflicts. However, I've never had loaches (that didn't die of ich). Maybe one of our loachkeepers can give us a better idea.

Good catch, Shawnie! This is definitely a "hang on for more responses" situation;D

8. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

I love loaches, I have zebra loaches which stay about the same size as yoyos if you want something different. I think the angels would be great!

9. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Oh, I really like these...... small, peaceful and pretty.....

Could I have more than 1 pair?

10. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I like Brians suggestion of Laetacara. The Curviceps are really nice. Angels would work. My Rams struggle to get some peace & quite with 4 Yoyo Loaches in thier 63gal so I'm not sure how they would go in a smaller tank. Dwarf Chain Loaches would be ok though.

11. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I've kept yo yo's and dwarf cichlids in a 29 with no issues, so IMO it would be fine. Then again, sometimes you get some extra crazy ones like Nutter apparently did! As long as you're not adding small juvie cichlids, I don't think you'll have any trouble.

In a 30 gallon, I would suggest sticking with only one pair of dwarf cichlids.

12. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

You guys have given me some great info on cichlids. Thanks!

Now..... say I have loaches and a pair of dwarf cichlids. Are there any other small fish that can go in there? Maybe a small tetra?

13. Surya Kant BansalNew MemberMember

have a group of angels it will look nice...

14. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I thought angels needed a larger tank..... :confused:

15. kwesdogValued MemberMember

Kribs.

They are great cept when they spawn (which they like will do).

Harry

16. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Thanks for your input, Harry.

I'm finally narrowing it down. How does this sound?

5 kuhli loaches
    6 rummynose tetras
    1 pair apistogramma agassizi (or possibly GBR's)

Is that good?

17. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

Yeh That Stocking Sounds Good To Me, Iv Got GBR and I Love Them. Iv also kribs and i love them too and i used to have cockatoo cichlids.

18. NutterFishlore VIPMember

That stocking looks good. I would add another 4 Rummies for a total of 10. Kuhlis only have a very light bio-load so you should have the room & filtration capacity.

The only thing I will mention is that all of those fish will mainly stay in the bottom half of the tank so you might want to think about either adding in a small surface dwelling fish or replacing the Rummies with something that will hang around the surface more. Just so that there is movement on all levels of the tank.

There are no compatability issues with your stock, it's just something to think about.

19. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I thought the rummies would be more like my cardinals had been..... mid to top dwellers..... :-\

Hmmmmmmmmm..... thoughts?

20. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Sounds Good to me. :;th Now enough talk and lets go to the LFS. :;bananasplit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice