30 Gallon Tank Cichlids for beginner, what's your opinion?

• Thread starter LyndaB
  • Start date

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
I have a 30 gallon tank that I will be restocking.

I know that I'll have loaches, but not yet sure which. Something peaceful though. Have had yoyo's, will stick with something about that size. So, the cichlids must be compatible with loaches.

Would love your opinions as to which might be suitable for a cichlid beginner (have blood parrots but those are like puppies, not fish, LOL).

Completely open as to stocking of this tank. Not settled on anything which is basically why it's not set up yet.

x

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Apistos, angels, rams, there are many species and color variations so hopefully that will help.

You could even have angels AND apistos or rams

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
bolivianbaby said:
Apistos, angels, rams, there are many species and color variations so hopefully that will help.

You could even have angels AND apistos or rams
even with the loaches? would there be enough space? never had apistos or rams so curious

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
I honestly never thought of angels. Are there any that stay smaller? I always think of them as really big fish.

Have already been researching rams and apistos, thanks to harpua.

Keep your ideas coming. Love learning all about fish I've never had.

btate617

Well Known
I am not sure about the loaches, not too sure how much they can take.

A small species of cichlid that would work in that size tank is Laetacara.
Laetacara Dorsigera and Laetacara Curviceps are commonly avaliable in the states.

Brian

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Shawnie said:
even with the loaches? would there be enough space? never had apistos or rams so curious
I wouldn't have more than a pair of apistos or rams in a 30 gallon so I would think they'd be fine.

Territory or behavior wise, I can't see any conflicts. However, I've never had loaches (that didn't die of ich). Maybe one of our loachkeepers can give us a better idea.

Good catch, Shawnie! This is definitely a "hang on for more responses" situation;D

NMfishman

Well Known
I love loaches, I have zebra loaches which stay about the same size as yoyos if you want something different. I think the angels would be great!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
btate617 said:
Laetacara Curviceps
Oh, I really like these...... small, peaceful and pretty.....

Could I have more than 1 pair?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
I like Brians suggestion of Laetacara. The Curviceps are really nice. Angels would work. My Rams struggle to get some peace & quite with 4 Yoyo Loaches in their 63gal so I'm not sure how they would go in a smaller tank. Dwarf Chain Loaches would be ok though.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
I've kept yo yo's and dwarf cichlids in a 29 with no issues, so IMO it would be fine. Then again, sometimes you get some extra crazy ones like Nutter apparently did! As long as you're not adding small juvie cichlids, I don't think you'll have any trouble.

In a 30 gallon, I would suggest sticking with only one pair of dwarf cichlids.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
You guys have given me some great info on cichlids. Thanks!

Now..... say I have loaches and a pair of dwarf cichlids. Are there any other small fish that can go in there? Maybe a small tetra?

Surya Kant Bansal

have a group of angels it will look nice...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
I thought angels needed a larger tank.....

kwesdog

Kribs.

They are great cept when they spawn (which they like will do).

Harry

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Thanks for your input, Harry.

I'm finally narrowing it down. How does this sound?

5 kuhlI loaches
6 rummynose tetras
1 pair apistogramma agassizI (or possibly GBR's)

Is that good?

Sammyboi1993

Yeh That Stocking Sounds Good To Me, Iv Got GBR and I Love Them. Iv also kribs and I love them too and I used to have cockatoo cichlids.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
That stocking looks good. I would add another 4 Rummies for a total of 10. Kuhlis only have a very light bio-load so you should have the room & filtration capacity.

The only thing I will mention is that all of those fish will mainly stay in the bottom half of the tank so you might want to think about either adding in a small surface dwelling fish or replacing the Rummies with something that will hang around the surface more. Just so that there is movement on all levels of the tank.

There are no compatability issues with your stock, it's just something to think about.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
I thought the rummies would be more like my cardinals had been..... mid to top dwellers..... :-\

Hmmmmmmmmm..... thoughts?

navyscuba

Well Known
Sounds Good to me. Now enough talk and lets go to the LFS. :;bananasplit

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend

Believe me, I'm getting pretty antsy...... arty0049:

Okay, with additional information, a revised list. How does this sound?

5 kuhlI loaches
10 rummynose tetras

and 6 harlequin rasboras

Is that good?

navyscuba

Well Known
I'm going to my store today I'm bringing my 2 common plecos to put them in their pond. I think they need a more room they are about a foot long each and they are in my 100 gal.
Lets see what I bring from there. ;D

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Hope you end up with a real treasure.....

Okay, with additional information, a revised list. How does this sound?

5 kuhlI loaches
10 rummynose tetras

and 6 harlequin rasboras

Is that good?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
I think that would work quite nicely provided you have adequate filtration & good water change habits. The Harlequins put it in my category of slightly overstocked but it is workable. Maybe an extra water change each week will be needed to handle the extra stock but your test results will let you know if you need to do that. Don't forget to recycle the tank seeing it hasn't bee in use for awhile.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
We'll get new gravel this weekend and begin a cycle. I do have filter material available to me from another tank, so that'll help get things going quickly.

Thanks for your help.

I think I'm going to get the kuhlis first , then the rummies, then the cichlids and live with that for a bit to see whether I really do need the rasboras. I've had mid-dwellers before that ended up being up top quite a bit.

Time will tell.

We do maintain our tanks with great care and have good filtration but I don't want to overstock either. If the fish are happy, I'm happy.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Sounds like a good plan of attack. The Rams/Apistos might well chase the Rummies up to the top half anyway if they claI'm the entire bottom area as their territory.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Just when I think I have it all figured out, I get thrown a curveball. Just printed out stat sheets for the above list of fish (minus the rasbora).

The kuhlI loach might not work in this case because his temperature requirements are 79-86 whereas the rummies and cichlids are in the 72-79 range.

Yoyo's would work, they are in the same range as the other fish. I may go with my fave yoyo's again, after all.

kwesdog

I have had kuhlis and rams before and everything was fine at 78-80. I have since gotten rid of the rams and got kribs instead but if you don't get too high in temp I don't think you will have any issues.

Harry

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Thanks, Harry.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
You shouldn't have any problems at 80. I've got Kuhlis & Blue Rams in one of my tanks at 80 without problems so far. (Rams only been in 4-5months)

If you were to swap to Yoyos you would need to change the stocking all over again. They have a much larger bioload than the Kuhlis.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
As long as the temp won't pose a problem, I'd love to stick with the kuhlis. Thanks, Nutter.

I just visited the lfs and absolutely fell in love with a krib. He was in with yoyos and seemed to be chasing them around. Can a single krib work with kuhlis?

Could I still have a small top-mid species like the rummies or serpaes? Honestly, there are just so many fish I'm seeing that I really like.

If the krib won't work, I saw a lovely medium size angel that I like, too.

Maybe I should just have someone else choose all of my fish and set up the darn tank so I can stop at all the pretty fish choices.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
A Krib will be fine with Kuhlis as well as the Rummynoses or any other similar size behaviour shoaling fish you would like. Best to keep Kribs as a pair & make sure they have a cave to call home. Like any other cichlid they get a little aggressive when it's breeding time but nothing too dramatic. Best not to have them with Rams in your size tank though if your still thinking of having those as well.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
No! The kribs would be instead of the other cichlids I was thinking about. So, best in a pair, eh? I'm going back to the store after work to look again. I'll see if they have a pair.

Thanks Nutter! You always come to my rescue!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
I agree, kribs are fine. They are pretty similar in size and temperament to apistos and rams so although you can't keep them together in your tank, you can stock the tank the same way whether you go with kribs or rams/apistos.

kwesdog

Once the kribs get paired up they will spawn like no tommorow. I have never had major aggression problems with my kribs except towards other kribs. They did get territorial during spawning and simply nudged or chased non-kribs away but never hurt anything. I can't say the same for the other kribs.

I don't know if others had this problem but even in my 55 with plenty of hiding spots and part of the tank blocked I am sure I would have dead kribs in 24 hours from the dominant male chasing and attacking all the other kribs in the tank except the paired female.

Harry

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
HI Harry,

I did purchase the kribs. By Thursday morning, he was approaching her trying to curve himself around her. Is this some courtship thing? She did her best to not flirt with him.

As of this morning, however, he's taken to chasing her around the tank some. As I have much to learn about their typical tank behavior, I'll keep taking notes.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Cool, do you have any pics of your new kribs?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
I'm going to try to take some pics over the weekend. They're both showing good color now, eating well and seem to be adjusting to the tank well.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Pretty typical for any female to reject the male for awhile after being relocated. The males are always ready to go sooner than the females are. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. If she continues to totally reject him & refuses to be interested in the long term you may need to try a new female (remove the old one) if you want them to breed. If there's plenty of cover in the tank then they might well be able to share the tank without problem even if they do not pair up.

kwesdog

Typically with kribs its the female trying to sell herself chasing the males all around until they pair.

For pairing and spawning the female will normally color up their bellies VERY dark and/or bright red and kind of do a sideways swim dance in front of the male trying to show her beauty (saying hey I am ready to spawn your babies).

Once the male accepts the female that's when the aggression can begin even if they are not activly spawning yet. The aggression I noticed is normally only towards other kribs at this point.

I would put some video up of it for you but I only have kribs that are already paired with no other kribs in the tank. Its very easy to know the courting dance once you see it and as I said it with kribs its the female who does the courtship dance.

Once they have paired when I have seen the males do their little dance when they are within a day or so of spawning. I have only ever watched the male do this after they have selected a cave or alcove to spawn in. He would then dance in front of it as though trying to coax the female in there to lay eggs. Once he does the female will lay eggs on the sides or roof of whatever they spawned in and the male will go in and fertilize them.

This is just my personal experience with them,

Harry

Very fun and interesting fish.

Top Bottom