Cichlids as centerpiece for my tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MatthewM, Jul 30, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

I wanted a cool centerpiece for my tank. And a ram would definitely do just that, but as i keep my tank at 77.7, probably not a great idea, and at the time of a water change nitrate is usually up to about 10ppm, thats too much for a ram right? Its not always that, just what it builds up to before i change water. I think i saw people talk about kribensis being peaceful? Can a kribensis safely be kept in a tetra tank? I can lower or raise my temp if need be. Wether for a ram or kribensis. Are there any other cool dwarf cichlid type fish? Or maybe even just any sort of centerpiece fish?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep I got several kribensis in a tank that's kept at 76-77 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

As a centre piece, you might wish to go with something a little larger. Blue acaras are quite lovely, usually stay in to 6-8" range, and are definitely one of the less aggressive cichlids.
    Of course, just because I like them doesn't mean that you will, but I think that they might be a better centre piece than a dwarf, as the latter can be a little shy, as a rule, and the acara will certainly fit into a 75g tank.
    Best of luck, rick

4. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I like it, but i have a piece of driftwood in my tank that would make this fish impossible :/ it takes up a very nice sized portion of my tank, so something that large would have some trouble.

5. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Could I interest you in a Keyhole cichlid, then:). They usually get to 4-5 inches, are non-aggressive, yet still large enough to catch the eye. Plus, they are plant friendly. I feel like a used car salesman, just now:).
    Best to you, rick

6. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I shall look into it, thank you

7. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

In a 75 gallon, you could do two pair of some sort of apistogramma.
    Another possibility would be a rainbow cichlid.

8. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Firemouths are another inbetween sizes option.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Depending on the rest of your stock a Cryptoheros sajica may work. Or a male convict.
    I would encourage you to also look at the other fish in the genus Archocentrus besides the rainbow cichlid, as they are good lookers. Like Archocentrus centrarchus the flier cichlid and Archocentrus spinosissimus.

10. Dom90

The Cryptoheros sajica looks like a mini-dovii, or a mini-flowerhorn.

11. Anders247

Yeah, so cool.....

12. Dom90

Are they aggressive? Would be cool to have the fish with the body of a flowerhorn but the peaceful nature of a kribensis...

13. Anders247

I have read they are relatively peaceful.

14. Dom90

But I'm guessing that it's a relatively rare cichlid...

15. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on where you look. The popularity goes up and down because it is easy to breed. It is usually available online somewhere.

16. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Picked up two german blues. I went to a petco. They were the only thing you guys mentioned that didn't look terrible. And they are actually quite nice. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438630706.782633.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438630706.782633.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

18. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Jeff Rapps usually has them.

And to @MatthewM. Nice looking rams :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice