Cichlids and stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Mer-max, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Hypothetically , here's a question.
    I've been reading a lot about haps and mbunas and the different rift lakes.
    I'm not finding a lot of a "for sure " set up in another 55 gal that included a electric blue? I want to keep the colors popping as have another amazon sword center piece like in my other 55, as well as a java fern or two since they taste nasty and they won't dig them up too much.

Could anyone stock my imaginary 55 for me? How many of what, including the electric blue and how many? Also I couldn't find if the blue was a Hap or a mbuna but I was pretty sure mbuna. . . Help would be awesome!

Thanks ahead

2. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Yellow labs maybe?

3. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Electric Blue is a type of Mbuna but specifically is called a Johannii.

I have an Mbuna tank and I was advised at the time to do about 4-5 groups of about 6 to each group (to make sure the aggression is spread out).

The Electric Blue Johannii can be in the tank with other Mbunas as long as they are from the Malawi Lake (African Cichlid).

With my 75 Gallon, I have 6 of each - Albino Redtops, Blue Cobalts, Orange Zebras and Yellow Labs. Some say the Yellow Labs do not need to be with the other groups, but they do very well in mine. A lot of folks have mixed the Yellow Labs with the Cobalts, Redtops and Zebras.

That will give you a better idea. I'm sure others will chime in.

4. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Thanks for the reply Alex! I'd love to see some pictures of yours. I did read about grouping to avoid aggression issues. I just know I really like the bright colors and didn't know if the dull looking ones were the haps or what. I know the mbunas like a lot of rock and the haps like the sand/scattered rocks/plants. At least from what I read. Trying to get all my research done and prepared. I like what I've found to be called a "trophy" - black with a yellow stripe down the center of the body as well. When I was asking about him the fish lady said he was a "one per tank" fish which I didn't think was right. Like I said - just trying to get it all sorted out and make sure my selection is right before I take the plinge

5. A

You're welcome, Mer-max.

Pet Shops (most of them) usually do not know their information that well. There are a few Cichlids that are singular Cichlids and those you don't want to "group" per say.

I'll post some photos in this box of my 75 Gallon. I'll be taking new pictures this weekend as well.

View attachment 100740View attachment 100741View attachment 100742View attachment 100743View attachment 100744View attachment 100745View attachment 100746View attachment 100747

Above are pictures of when I first was starting to buy them. It's best to buy them all at once so they'll be the same size, but at that time I couldn't.

I have way more rocks now and as far as plants, even with those two live ones, it's still the possibility for the Mbunas to dig them up. A few of mine are digging troopers! They'll even dig passage ways under rocks, etc.

6. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Awesome! I've also found some convicts I like too. We are debating on 55 or 75 right now lol

7. A

IMO, You would actually have a bit more of an advantage with a 75 Gallon.

As far as Convicts, some of those you only want one in your tank. I wouldn't put those with Mbunas, though, as those are EXTREMELY territorial, especially when a male and female are protecting their eggs. I would only house the Convicts by themselves with other peaceful fishes (those that would get along with the Convicts).

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ok. I think we're going to go 75 - hopefully

9. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Might be a 100 gal!!! Co worker is thinking of selling his.

10. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Adding convicts isn't a good idea. Convicts and mbunas have totally different needs. You could do haps and convicts. Not to mention they're mean lil buggers. I have acei, yellow labs, johanni and zebra in my tank. If you want them to breed sometime. Do 1 m to 5f that's to keep aggression down as well

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Yeah. We have established the no convicts. How do I tell male from female. I've been told females are brighter, but to what? And what about the gold on the anal fin?

12. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Are you saying the convicts are mean? Or mbuna? They seem more peaceful than the trophies or electric blue

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice