55 Gallon Tank Cichlids and Silver Tip Tetra

tpasser2
Hey. My tank right now is a 10 gal with two younger fancy male guppies and four silver tip tetras. The tetras have been terrorizing the guppies and frequently dart all over the place. I am trying to get rid of the tetras now, as guppies would be easier to take care of and are more peaceful but on a college campus, it's hard to find a spot for them. The only two options I know of right now are a 10 gallon with about 5 goldfish which sounds like a bad idea, or my friend's 55 gallon cichild tank that has a mixed variety of cichlids in it. I know he mixed the geographic areas although some say you can't do that and he doesn't have problems. I only know a few of the specific fish he has, but he has about 20 in there right now. He has 2 parrot cichlids, a convict cichlid, jewel cichlid, just to name a few... Is there any possibility that these tetras will not be killed in this tank? They would be in a group of 4 and they are extremely fast. The tank has adequate hiding with silk plants and rock formations, but I don't know whether that matters with the high volume of fish present anyway. I guess it would be hard to hide from 20 other fish anyway. What are your thoughts? Do places like Walmart and Pet Supplies Plus trade fish if I wanted to give these in trade for a guppy or two? Thanks...

Jaysee
Welcome to the forum

Yes, it sounds like the 55 is their best bet.

No, most places are not going to trade places, though they will take the fish and may give you a credit of some sort depending on the value of the fish you are returning. The fish stores are the only ones that take back fish, as far as I know (as opposed to petsmart etc.).

tpasser2
So you don't think they will be killed if put into that tank?

Jaysee
No, not immediately. it may be that it is not a long term home for them. there's only one way to find out

w_boughner
they should be ok dependig on the size of his fish at worst you feed his fish

tpasser2
Just for fyI to everyone, the silvertips were picked off one by one until they were no more over about a month or so

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies