cichlids and puffer fish

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by lollipopkiller, Jan 5, 2013.

1. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

i want to get a green spotted pufferfish and i was wondering if i could put it with my cichlids 1 convict or 2 bumblebees? also do i need snails if i get a puffer?

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

3. ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

IMO they do not mix well. I never could keep snails with my Cichlids. They would kill them. Also, a puffer is a very non-aggressive fish (peaceful if you will) so again Cichlids and puffers do not make good tank makes. A puffers growth is rather slow but Cichlids being aggressive would eventually kill the puffer. I have tried both in my time and the Cichlids are with thier own kind because there isnt alot of other critters you can put with them because of the aggression level. I hope this helps.

4. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

so they do need snails and they are brackish fish well i guess that idea is out

5. ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

Yeah I love have snails and I bought several and put them in my 75 Cichlid tank thinking they would be fine. I noticed I never saw them out moving around.. only the shell with them hiding inside. Then not too much longer it would just be the shell and no snail body at all. I think at night when the lights were out the cichlids just had a good ole time picking at the snails. I also tried the puffer idea and they just couldnt hang with the Cichlids... even if puffers were more aggressive thier mouths are so small its hard for them to do much damage. I wish I had better news for you.

6. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

ya i looked up about this puffer and it can poison the whole tank if it gets stressed or scared

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice