Cichlids And Plants? Experiences?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Has anyone had any experiences with cichlids and plants? I want to know what plants would work. I was told that they won't eat thicker leaf plants like anubias and probably won't eat java fern because of the bitter taste. What are your experiences?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We have a texas, a convict and an electric blue acara and they would uproot and destroy plants that were not anchored or surrounded by stones. Anubis will be ripped up and so will java fern eventually. I prefer hardscape over plants when dealing with large cichlids like that.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Has anyone had any experiences with cichlids and plants? I want to know what plants would work. I was told that they won't eat thicker leaf plants like anubias and probably won't eat java fern because of the bitter taste. What are your experiences?
Most cichlids will destroy any plants whether they taste good or not. It does depend on the cichlid though.

Oscars and central American cichlids in particular will rarely tolerate plants.

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My convicts enjoy having plants to hide in. I've never had a problem, but I also plant them in pots, so they're not easy to uproot. I'm mainly keeping them with hygrophila polysperma - lots of coverage.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How should I plant them so they don't uproot them? Do you think my siamese algae eater will protect them lol.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OneLittleBubble said:
How should I plant them so they don't uproot them? Do you think my siamese algae eater will protect them lol.
No lol. He might get bullied, depending on the cichlid

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hahaha that's funny. We'll see. I can't wait to have a superhero in the tank. lol

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What kind of african? It isn't recommended to mix them with other south american cichlids. And yeah, those plants don't stand a chance

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OneLittleBubble said:
Yeah, I know it's the PH difference, right? What is going to destroy them?
All of them are going to wreck the plants, most likely. And they aren't compatible mainly due to severe aggression between them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom