Cichlid without power for 24 hours.

sarak

A friend of mine left her Parrot Cichlid with her mother who lost power in the winter storms of Texas. He was without heat and oxygen for about 24 hours. The mom took the fish to her daughter in a bucket where they put a heater in to warm him up. He's starting to lose color and he's laying on his side. I know a little bit about fish from experience and research, but this is something I don't know much about. My fish have never been without heat and oxygen for so long. I suggested getting a bigger tank, first of all, for the time being. They apparently can't put his normal tank in their apartment or they'll get in trouble. I also suggested getting a filter or an air pump with an air stone to provide him with oxygen. I've run out of ideas that could help him and any feedback would be appreciated! The picture attached is one she sent me this morning when she thought he was dead.

Attachments

• tempImageq9dhfy.png
    tempImageq9dhfy.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38

Passionfish

He looks gone. I think there is pretty much nothing you can do, unless someone comes up with something. I'll be thinking hard! I'll try to help as much as I can!

Upvote 0

sarak

He looks gone. I think there is pretty much nothing you can do, unless someone comes up with something. I'll be thinking hard! I'll try to help as much as I can!
That's what I thought too :/ I thought maybe someone knew something I didn't that could help. Thank you!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

They can go surprisingly long without oxygen. It would have just been best to leave him In the tank and pour water from a cup to create oxygen. The stress of being in a bucket and the constant change in water temp might have been what killed him. Sorry for the loss, such a shame to loose a beautiful King Kong parrot

Upvote 0

Lucy

Welcome to FishLore, I'm so sorry it's under these conditions.
His gills aren't moving at all?

Upvote 0

sarak

They can go surprisingly long without oxygen. It would have just been best to leave him In the tank and pour water from a cup to create oxygen. The stress of being in a bucket and the constant change in water temp might have been what killed him. Sorry for the loss, such a shame to loose a beautiful King Kong parrot
I didn't know they could go long without oxygen. Thank you for that information. What about increasing his temp if he stayed in the tank? Without power some houses got down into the 30s.

Upvote 0

Elkwatcher

I lost mine to a 7 day power outage. While I didn't have a battery air pump at the time ( that would have saved him ). I tried to keep the tank heated by putting in plastic water bottles filled with boiling water heated by the wood stove 24 hrs a day. Hand heat packs could be taped to the outside of the tape as a temporary means of heating. Having never dealt with an emergency outage that long I didn't realize I was depleting the oxygen by trying to keep the water as close to 80 as I could. He suffocated. Oxygen is the most important, I've read the temperature could go down to low 60's for a short time and fish still survive. You would have to watch for ICH though. Syd was a 13 yr old lone occupant of a 50 gallon tank and bigger than the palm of my hand spread... a sad loss indeed. My heart goes out to the people in Texas going through this terrible storm.

Attachments

• Syd.jpg
    Syd.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

sarak

I lost mine to a 7 day power outage. While I didn't have a battery air pump at the time ( that would have saved him ). I tried to keep the tank heated by putting in plastic water bottles filled with boiling water heated by the wood stove 24 hrs a day. Hand heat packs could be taped to the outside of the tape as a temporary means of heating. Having never dealt with an emergency outage that long I didn't realize I was depleting the oxygen by trying to keep the water as close to 80 as I could. He suffocated. Oxygen is the most important, I've read the temperature could go down to low 60's for a short time and fish still survive. You would have to watch for ICH though. Syd was a 13 yr old lone occupant of a 50 gallon tank and bigger than the palm of my hand spread... a sad loss indeed. My heart goes out to the people in Texas going through this terrible storm.
Thank you for that information. I'm sorry for your loss. Such a gorgeous fish. Us southern Texans are not used to dealing with this cold and ice and I applaud anyone who does it on the regular. I was one of the lucky few who never lost power, so thankfully I don't have to worry about my fishies, but your information and love are appreciated. I will send on the info.
Welcome to FishLore, I'm so sorry it's under these conditions.
His gills aren't moving at all?
I asked her about 15 minutes ago, but no reply yet. :/

Upvote 0

Elkwatcher

I am wired with a generator now, thank goodness.
This is what I did previously. Stay safe.

Do water changes before power goes out if you know it's coming

Calcium Chloride Heater (note must be pure 100% Calcium Chloride: 130F
Plastic water bottle 500 ml bottle
Add water to almost fill and 100 g calcium chloride
Monitor temp take out or add more bottles

Heat packs

113 F tape to side of tank with painters tape
Tape near bottom, cover completely with painters tape
Cover tank with Mylar Emergency foil blanket or reg blankets.

Battery powered air pump
Ammonia filtering *****Unplug regular filters or ammonia will be pumped in .****
Need filtration put air stone to bottom of aquarium place filter media over air stone or attach battery air pump directly to sponge filter.

Don’t feed fish*****

Power back on
Let tank go back to normal temp
Don’t feed fish right away
Do a large water change

Make an emergency kit

Battery powered air pumps

Airstone/ weighted airstone
Batteries D size for air pumps
Mylar blankets 52 x 84 -36 x40 for 20 gal heat rises
Thermometers
Flash lights
500 ml bottles

Heat packs/ 72 hr 110 F for hands. Red line to outside for oxygen 1 to 20-30 gals monitor
Tape/ painters tape
Box filters or Sponge Filters
Extra air tubing
Blankets

Tank will be ok at 63 degrees if necessary

Watch for ICH

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ryan35
  • Question