Cichlid Tank Suggestions? 20 Gallon Tank

1. AFIpunk84 Initiate Member

Greetings everyone! I'd been browsing the internet for hours trying to find some guidance when i stumbled upon this site. It looks like there are ton of people here with vast aquarium knowledge so maybe you can help me out a bit.
    In a few weeks im going to be buying a 20g long tank and i would like to house a few varieties (2-3) of cichlid. I have had several different aquariums in the past, aggressive and non aggressive, and am just wondering which species of cichild can live with eachother fairly peacefully. I have a list of a few species that i was thinking about housing, could you tell me which, if any of these can live together?

Kribensis (pelvicachromis pulcher)
    Apistogramma cacautuoides
    Blue ram cichlid
    Neolamprologus leleupi
    Haplochromis sp. (Kyoga flameback)
    Pseudocrenilabrus sp. (baria red and/or multi-color victoriae)
    Pundamilia nyererei (makobe)
    Gephyrochromis moorii
    Labidochromis sp. (kimpuma or hongi)
    Tramitichromis intermedia

Thanks in advance for the help/guidance!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hello AFI and welcome to Fishlore :)

Well some of the species you have listed are from the african lakes and can only be housed with other fish from these lakes, sadl,y a 20G isnt big enough to house these types of cichlids.
    If I were you I would look into american cichlids, pacifically dwarf cichlids. Cichlids being territorial, need a lot of floor space and it is good that you have a 20G long, I think you would be okay to keep 2 species in a tank this size :)
    If I had a 20G long and was looking for cichlids I would have bolivian rams and maybe 1 keyhole cichlid :)
    Then a shoal of tetras :)

For example:

1 keyhole cichlid
    1-2 bolivian rams
    6 neon tetras

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

In a 20g long, I'd advise dwarf cichlids, shelldwellers, or convicts.

Hope this helps and please keep us posted.

5. Toddnbecka Member Member

A 20 long is only large enough for a single species of cichlid, regardless of compatability. From the species on your list, the only ones I'd recomend would be Apisto's or Rams. An established pair of kribensis would be alright, but a 20 is a bit small for raising a group to sort out a pair. Same with the leleupi, they're difficult to pair up in a larger tank. The other species aren't pair-bonding fish, and are better kept in groups in larger tanks.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 ..great advice!

7. AFIpunk84 Initiate Member

Thanks for all the great input everyone! I think that i'll try to find a pair of apistos or kribensis and fill in the gaps with a small school of red eye or neon tetra. Do you think coreys would work with these cichlids? Also, is there a list someplace where i could browse different varieties of dwarf cichlid? In any case, I'll be sure to post some photo's when its all set up :). thanks again!

8. kacie Member Member

Check out the cookie cutter setups at Cichlid Forum and their profile lists.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

It depends on what cichlids you go with....they dont usually play nice as cichlids have tempers..in a 20g long tank, you dont have allot of play room...although apistos and kribs are more on the peaceful side, they can change in a heartbeat if they decide to spawn

10. anunez91 Member Member