Cichlid tank! I've been hiding it ;)

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI all!

Here's the cichlid tank I've had set up for about a month now but haven't actually shared!

So here's some pics

Currently has some wee bairn Rusty cichlids. So cute. I got them at 3cm, they're now about 6cm.
Pretty sure I got 3 males and 1 female. I'm going to have to take two of the males back They're still mostly yellow brown, but are showing a dark blue sheen around the body.

1 male is larger, has stripes starting and is pretty aloof and kingly. The smallest male is a little brat!!! He is sooooo cheeky and more aggressive than the others. The female is starting to get a bit shy with the boisterous boys, so I think 1 more month and I'll remove some boys and try again with more younguns.

Attachments

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LOL just realised there are no pics of the babies in there!! I'll take some more tomorrow morning. They're in bed now

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Really nice tank, now where are the fish....................

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ver nice tank! Thanks for sharing

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking tank. The sand makes it look a lot cleaner and brighter. Good job.

I noticed the plant on the left side of the tank that look similar to one I had in this thread:

Lucy was able to confirm if was not an aquarium plant. I don't know if it is the same plant just thought I would let you know.

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Very nice.

alex

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks like an aluminium plant which is not aquatic, that is true.
Nice tank. Do you have trouble with the plants and the fish? Presumably not as they look so healthy.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OOOHHHH I love the cane/bamboo background! Gives me an idea for my new tank!

Nice tank!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love the aquasacaping! Where did you get those rocks? I want to convert my tank to sand so bad.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Love the little tower thing on the right side.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I wouldnt be suprised if it's not an aquarium plant. It's the only thing not flourishing.

And with the lantern? Cichlids LOVE IT!! I ended up stripping the paint off it because it turned out to be water based. It's now orange terracotta, which matches the rocks better.

And I just went to my local stone supplier and rummagged through the offcuts pile. I have a ton of "peacock slate" hidden away for use in another tank This is just some sort of hard sandstone. I have a couple pieces of volcanic rock in there too. Lantern = $15. Rock = $25 (and I have that amount again in the slate)

Only issue is the food in the gaps is annoying. I have a tiny pipe cleaner for cleaning in the rocks. My babies don't like me when I stuff pipe cleaners in their territory

Gonna try take some piccies of them tonight The light broke yesterday and I might be able to grab a globe tonight.

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Love the Aquascaping...makes me want to make one like it

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Beautiful tank!

Ken

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
looks really nice

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Been a while, but here are the rusty cichlids in the tank.

There are babies in there (currently 2 that I know of) but I can't take pics of them because they hide so well.

I have 1 dominant male, definitely two females, and possibly one submissive male. I'm guessing the one with a black outline on his fins and the bitten tail is the submissive male. When I'm TOTALLY sure it's male I'll return it to the pet store and get a female so I'm 1m 3f.

Found it hard getting pics of the dominant male (he's the one that's purple not yellow) since I cleaned the tank and apparently wrecked his territory, he started guarding his territory all over again. They had it allll sorted til I cleaned the rocks and then the male decided to move to the lantern, then move back, then the females nest got ruined.... needless to say I only have one happy sociable female at the moment, the rest of them are bickering!

Attachments

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The rusty in most of the pics is the only one not defending territory right now. She's the smallest, and the one that spat fry while I was away
I have 5 fry in the maternity tank, and there are still 2 in the main tank.

Here we go...
Third pic.
Bottom left is the female, smallest, which spat fry...
Top left is the female that has been nesting.
Middle is the dominant male, whom has been stalking the second female and guarding his cave.
Far right is what I think is my second male... has a black stripe along the top fin, and his analfins have been nipped. Dominant male has black fin stripes too.

Attachments

Rusty21

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the pics of your tank & fish...........I really like what you did with the rocks.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads