Cichlid Tank Ideas

1. MaddoxAtom

MaddoxAtom New Member Member

Okay so I'm a beginner lol. All I've had/have is a betta sorority tank which is going well buy my friend gave me her old 55 gallon and I've decided to add some Gouramis angels and a discus which I've read are all decent beginners fish and I love the look of all of them so I just wanted more info on the fish in general. I want to get three spot Gouramis and I've been told to get a male and female or two females. I also want to add a catfish that isn't a cory cat bc I plan on adding one or two of those to my betta soroity. So any ideas on that. I also want to add an elephant nose after the tank matures but I've also been told that since all these fish are aggressive it would be best to introduce it at the same time as the others but I know the water conditions have to be pristine for the elephant so I just wanted opinions on this and well everything else thanks

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Hey welcome ,

Discuss are not ment for beginners at all, they are very delicate fish and hard to keep and should be kept only by experienced fish keepers, I would suggest waiting before trying with discuss, also discuss are better in species only tanks with atleast 5-6 of them and a 75g tank.

for catfish , I would suggest hoplo catfish and getting 4 or 5 of them.

elephantnose fish isn't a good idea in a 55g , they need a 75g at the bare minimum.

Imo I would suggest

1 Anglefish
    2 Pearl Gourami
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    10 Lemon Tetras
    4-5 Hoplo Catfish
    1 BN Pleco

you can switch up the schooling fish to many others that you may like those were just some suggestions.

3. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Discus are by no stretch of the imagination an easy nor a beginner fish. After over 25 years of keeping fish I still won't try Discus. Also Gourami, Angels and Discus all in the 55 is too much. Pick one, none are exceptionally easy to keep but the Angels or Gourami will be significantly easier than Discus.

There are lots of catfish that work in a 55, you will want to do research on any Plecosomas you consider as many grow too large for a 55. As do many other cats. Seriously Fish as well as Fishlore fish pages have great information. Google will be your best friend.

Also as for the elephant nose. Do extensive research on them, not only do they require great water they have many other special needs and most will only eat live foods although many can be conditioned to eat frozen foods. They are sensitive and also definitely not a beginner fish. I do have one, I have gotten him to frozen foods, I can attest to the significant time commitment on a daily basis to this fish. After several months he still requires a daily commitment from me to thrive. Heavily research this fish. They are entirely wild caught, often have parasites and are very difficult to medicate as they are scaleless and very sensitive to medications. They often arrive with heath issues and stress easily. Mine is finally getting used to the morning lights on routine as initially it was terrifying to him.

4. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I agree with @sfsamm especially about discus I'm the same I have been keeping fish for about 30yrs and won't go into discus as I know I cannot commit to the high demands and time that these fish can take, and this is coming from a guy who is happy doing 50-70% water changes on a 330gal weekly with buckets

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

In the 55 I would do this
    1 angel
    2 pearl gouramis
    10 rummynose tetras
    10 cherry barbs
    15 bronze/albino cories
    1 Clown pleco

Cories are schooling fish that need to be kept in groups of 6+

6. OP
    OP
    MaddoxAtom

In that case would a school of cories do well in my 55 with angels and a gourami

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I put a school of cories in the stocking plan I posted so yeah

8. OP
    OP
    MaddoxAtom

Are mollies and swordtails not good beginners fish bc I read they can be put with angels and Gouramis on another forum

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They're fine beginner fish but they make a lot of babies, lol. Plus they are messy.

10. OP
    OP
    MaddoxAtom

Any dwarf cichlids that are okay with Gouramis and angels

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, GBRs, apistos, Laetacara, Nannacara, etc.