Cichlid tank cloudy water?

1. FishNewbie43 Member Member

Hello i have a 55 gallon tank and my water seems to get cloudy and i am not sure if it's a filtration problem or another problem. I have 10 cichlid's (peacocks and habs) in my tank. I am using a Fluval 306 canister filter (for up to 70 gallons tanks) and a sunsun Hw302 264GPH (for up to 75 gallon tanks)

I was looking to maybe upgrade one of the filter's (if i have to) but before i bought one i thought i would ask what everyone else think's? Do i have enough filtration for 10 cichlids or do i need a more powerful filter so my water won't get so cloudy?

I guess i should mention it was really cloudy and i cleaned my tank out 50% water change, and it's still cloudy just not as bad.

2. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Start ruling things out:
    1: Ammonia, is your tank fully cycled for 10 dirty fish?
    2: Let your water source sit with a pump for 24hrs before a water change.
    3. Bloom, let it run it's course, until it has, when you do a wc it will happen again.
    4. Overstocked, need more filtration or less fish.
    5. Overfeeding or bad food.

3. RandyS8229 Member Member

How long has your tank been set up? Did you do anything different recently? I wouldn't say your overstocked. Or underfiltered. I had probably 12 mbuna and few other bottom feeders in my 55 with only a whisper 60 with no filtration issues.

4. FishNewbie43 Member Member

going on 4 weeks since i had it set up 3 weeks since i've had fish in it

i feed them northfin, heard it's the best food out there.

5. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

From the time you did the 50% change and it was "not as bad", has it cleared up any, gotten worse; and have you done anything else since then but feed and let it sit ?
    How is the ammonia level?
    Once you rule out ammonia, bacterial bloom, and degassing, I've heard other sonly clear up once they reduce stock or filter better.
    Ammonia is easy, just test for it. Bacterial is a waiting game of a few days.

6. RandyS8229 Member Member

Definitely could be a bloom. Google new tank syndrome