Cichlid Suggestions For Tiger Barb Mates

kmalek321

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now before anyone freaks out I have done a lot of research and I KNOW cichlids should be kept in a species only tank and not likely with tiger barbs.

I currently have 8 tiger barbs (4 regular 4 green) in a 40G breeder with 2 aqueon 30 quietflow HOBs. Tank has been running and stable for more than a year with the barbs.

Now my question is this, I've been wanting to add another species of fish for months now yet don't want the typical recommended tank mates (other types of barbs etc.).

I really would love to add a single or pair of cichlids and have read that either a firemouth or a bolivian/german ram would work well with tiger barbs. My barbs have never been aggressive to each other other than the usual chasing around (even when not being fed for a few days). Does anyone have any experience keeping these or other cichlids with tiger barbs? Also does anyone have any other recommendations for tank mates other than the usual "more barbs". I'm open to all suggestions, I just would really like to add some new fish other than barbs (even though I absolutely love them)

Thanks!!!

kmalek321

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would not keep Blue Rams with them because of water temperature difference, you may be able to do Bolivians but I suggest getting at least 12 Tiger Barbs.
Thanks for the quick response! I read blue rams can be kept in 80F which is what my tigers like right now. And would you suggest getting a single Bolivian or a pair? And awesome, I wanted to add more Tiger Barbs anyway.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They can, however, they thrive from 82-86. Thats really warm for the Barbs, they like it in the mid 70’s, as do Bolivians. I’d suggest getting a pair!

kmalek321

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They can, however, they thrive from 82-86. Thats really warm for the Barbs, they like it in the mid 70’s, as do Bolivians. I’d suggest getting a pair!
Awesome thanks so much! I think I'll up the barbs first. And so is that a no to the firemouths? I read just one would work

BAS Aquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I do. I have a Bolivian pair in my 55 with a firemouth that’s being held and I haven’t seen any problems. I wouldn’t see any problems adding tiger barbs in the mix. Be careful though firemouth get big

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
This response is a bit late, but I have a pair of Bolivians with 10 green tiger barbs in a 36g and they get along fine. They more or less ignore one another.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom