Cichlid Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does anyone have the ceramic cichlid stones in their tanks? Do you like them? Are there any problems with them? I'm thinking of buying one of those 15 packs for my 55g and was curious if anyone recommends them. I have zero creativity, and they seem like a nice easy way to create caves.

Also, if you stack them, do you silicone them together? I'm going to have a sand substrate, so am I going to need to move them when I rake the sand for bubbles once a week?

Thanks,

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't keep cichlids but I know people use the plastic egg crate material on the bottom of tanks with heavy rocks.
If any fall over, the egg crate absorbs the impact rather than risking cracking the bottom.
I've also seen people mention the silicone them to make them more stable. A feisty large fish or a bump against the tank could make them fall risking a fish injury.

Good luck.

OP
crashEHC

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Lynda. Your tank looks great. You used the 15 pck for the 29 gal? Would the 15 pck be enough for the 50g? I don't plan on stacking the rocks too high because I only need the caves for my 6" catfish and I'm planning on adding an rts or rbs later.

How about cleaning them and the sand substrate? Do I need to lift them up in order to rake the sand underneath it? Could I just rake the sand around it?

Thanks Lucy. Where could I find the plastic egg cartons?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Lynda. Your tank looks great. You used the 15 pck for the 29 gal? Would the 15 pck be enough for the 50g? I don't plan on stacking the rocks too high because I only need the caves for my 6" catfish and I'm planning on adding an rts or rbs later.

How about cleaning them and the sand substrate? Do I need to lift them up in order to rake the sand underneath it? Could I just rake the sand around it?
I used some of the stones in my 46 and some in my 30. In both, I just remove the stones when I do a complete gravel vac. I do a water change every week but gravel once every other week. The fish don't seem to mind a slightly different configuration when I replace the stones. And when I remove them from the tank, I just let the water run out. There's almost never any fish waste in them. Guess they don't poop where they sleep.

I think a 15 pack would be enough for your tank. You'll want to have driftwood, too, if you're going to have a shark. So, it's not like the stones will take up the entire tank.

OP
crashEHC

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the advice everyone. I didn't know that sharks needed driftwood. I haven't read that anywhere yet, so thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom