Cichlid Stones Question

1. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

I prefer the most realistic deocor for my fish tank. I have just that now but I am craving more for my overall look. I have looked online at these cichlid stones and even watched some UTUBE videos of peoples tanks. Personally I think they look fake (even though they are - you know what I mean) I am sure the fish love them because of the little hiding spots etc.. but are they indeed fake looking inside the tank? With this said do you guys have any other suggestions of a product that would fit my need better? There are many things out there but I am just not sure what is the most realistic looking rock type product that is priced within reason.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

:;scuba

2. Fall River Member Member

Hey there :;hi2
    Don't know if this is possible for you, but I collect all my rocks for free. Some good places to check out are cemetaries (look for the area where they put all the debris for cleaning up the grounds) and gravestone makers. They usually have lots of castoffs that they are happy to get rid of. I have lots of free granite in my tanks and you can't beat it for the natural look OR the price!

3. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

Hey thats a thought. Thats similiar to what I did - I own my own business and my landlord that owns all the land around my building and others has a strip job site and I wheeled up in there one day to see what sort of rock was there. I loaded a couple of boxes and they work great but many of them break under the water... I think they are slate but they are good looking. I thought about going up there again and seeing what else he has but yes thats a good suggestion.

Thanks,

:;smack

4. Fall River Member Member

Just be careful where you pick from. If there's ANY chance the area is contaminated stay away. That's why I like the head stone shops, the stone's clean.