Cichlid Stocking Thoughts 55 Gallon Tank

1. crazedACD Member Member

Hi guys!

I recently happened upon a 55g, that I'm now setting up to house cichlids. I'm very much a cichlid newbie (I've mostly only kept peaceful tropicals) so I'm trying to figure out the best combination. Tank has an Aqua-Clear 30-60 and a Tetra EX30. PH is about 8.0-8.2, hardness about 50ppm. Sand substrate, soon to have some rockwork.

I think I've finally settled on the peacock species...they seem to fit what I have in mind the best. From my wanderings on the internet I've found it's possible to keep an all male peacock (aulonocara) tank, which is my intention. I'm curious as to what kind of numbers I should keep, I looked at that incredible website aqadvisor and my potential list seems to check out fine.

My thought was 5-6 of various aulonocara species, all males, one OB, one red shoulder, one sunshine, etc. I was wondering if a hap borleyi would be fine in there as well...I really like them and would love one in my tank. :)

I also wanted one "oddball" fish that I haven't decided on yet, was thinking an African Knifefish but I have little experience with them. Would it get too bullied by the peacocks? Was also concerned about feeding...I have experience at my store trying to get a black ghost knife to eat, :eek: and if the africans are anything like that I'm sure they wouldn't have a chance to eat before the peacocks got it. Any other suggestions as to an oddball fish?

My last and wishful thinking question...I currently have a bristlenose pleco and two kuhlis "leftover" that I was considering trying with the peacocks. I'm not totally worried about the pleco, but I absolutely adore my kuhlis and I'd hate to see them slurped up like spaghetti ;D. I'd hate to part with them as well, sigh. I can't find any material that advises either way about it..hmm. If I provide enough rocky holes will they be unobtrusive enough to avoid being dinner? I do have a 10g they can be moved to if needed, but I guess you never know once the lights go out. Advice?

Thanks in advance for reading my essay...I know I'm all over the place here :).

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Crazed. Hopefully some of our more experienced Cichlid keepers will help you out today.
    Starting with Cichlids
    You may find the above link helpful until you get some responses. I'll be looking forward to photos!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ken

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

love the african cichlids!!!!! ;D aulonocara are just striking with all their different colors
    but id not attempt loaches or knife fish as africans dont usually play well with any others ....the knife fish has a hard time finding food and the peacocks as you guessed, would starve him...

ive heard others keeping bn's with them but ive not tried myself...i have a chocolate plec with mine (just a color of a common) and no one bothers him....

4. crazedACD Member Member

Thanks guys, looks like the borleyi isn't recommended with the aulonocara (hmm). Will have to rethink that.

Are there any good oddball fish that will get along in my tank?

I think I've decided on a final stock list for my tank...if you guys think I'm totally crazy for attempting this, please tell me, haha. Remember I work at a fish store and if needed I can switch fish out (although I don't like to).

6-7 Aulonocara of various colors
    1 BN Pleco (if there's any hint of aggression to him I have a 10g he can go in)
    1 Peacock Eel-I've researched this pretty thoroughly I think and it seems in most circumstances they will get along with the cichlids. I will likely pick out which eel is feeding the best, and add him to the tank first and get him feeding. I'm going to build a plastic tube into my rockwork that he can take up residence in.

Sound good?

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts as they were back to back with no response between. Saving some space!
    Thanks!
    Ken

5. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

If you decide on getting other fish let me know I got a few. You can ask Bolivianbaby and Swilkins for the quality of my fish. Have fun.

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure about your stocklist, as I have limited experience with Malawis, but I can tell you that the males show their best coloration in the presence of females.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO the eel would be picked on eventually after the others get comfortable with the tank...as well as they require a much lower ph than your cichlids....and they have the ability to get up to a foot long...they do better with SA or NW cichlids ...

8. Neji Member Member

I thought peacock cichlids are from South America? I see them in the river all the time :S I never knew they were from Africa.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sure you are talking about the same fish ? http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/aulonocara.php is what I think the OP is talking about..maybe im wrong ?:;dk

10. crazedACD Member Member

Yes, I'm talking about the aulonocara species...from what I've read they are Lake Malawi African Cichlids (though they stay in the open waters apart from the mbuna, rock dwelling cichlids).

I'm considering throwing the aulonocara idea out the door...:p I've gone so back and forth since I've gotten this tank, I don't know what to do. I would really like to have a knifefish or an eel. I'm looking at severums now, from what I've read 55g is minimum for a pair, but I'm not sure if they would really get too big. What do you guys think? Two severums and a peacock eel...or one severum, maybe a pair of convicts or something, and the eel...? Ack...I think I need to sleep on it. Any other suggestions are very much welcome.

Sorry I'm so indecisive, I think the severums would be pushing it, probably not a great idea.

Through all my wanderings on the internet...what about a single or pair of Blue Acara (which would be better?), the peacock eel, and maybe some smaller cichlids-Firemouths maybe? Convicts? How many?

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts as they were back to back with no response between. Saving some space!
    Thanks!
    Ken

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I cannot advise on the peacock eel, but blue acara, firemouths, and convicts are all compatible. Convicts get pretty aggressive during spawning.

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you'd like a severum, I'd suggest only one. I kept my Rotkeil pair in a 55 for a few months until I could move them to a 120, and the difference in behavior is quite striking. Mine are pretty large (about 8 inches each and growing), and always looked cramped in a 55, there was even aggression going on. They are much calmer and no doubt happier in a larger tank. JMO.

13. gbreeder88 Member Member