Cichlid Stocking Question?

Hanzla Khan

Reaction score
E7EE2F11-9DBA-4EF8-9363-3693DF9AA718.jpeg
I have a 36 gallon bowfront with 2 mbuna in it, 1 3” Albino Zebra( he is to the top right of the filter tube) and 1 5” Kenyi. I’ve had it set up for over a year and I am pretty much bored of seeing only 2 fish. So i wanted some ideas and recommendations on how many more cichlids can I get and which ones can I keep, my local pet store has cichlids that are 1”-1.5” long so if I get them will they be eaten by my Kenyi. Please help

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When it comes to African Cichlids some recommend purposefully overstocking and having strong filtration and large frequent water changes so as to prevent any one fish being bullied over the others so using that rule of thumb you could add several more mbuna cichlids. Other people might disagree but that's what I've heard of them (personally keeping African Cichlids has never appealed to me). One thing I am sure of is that if you did add more cichlids they would need to be of similar size to the other two. Those 1-1.5" fish would almost certainly be slaughtered.

Hanzla Khan

Reaction score
Ok so my filtration is 10x the tank volume, its a Marineland 350 HOB. So weekly water changes of 20-30% and approximately 6-7 more Mbunas about the size of the current fish should work out perfectly?

Hanzla Khan

Reaction score
When I bought these fish 2 years ago I also bought a Yellow Lab and a Red Zebra but both died (I think the Kenyi finished them off) So what other breeds can I keep, like my stocking ideas was like

1 Auratus
1 Red zebra
1 Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 Bumblebee
1 Ob peacock
1 Acei
1 Demasoni

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hanzla Khan said:
When I bought these fish 2 years ago I also bought a Yellow Lab and a Red Zebra but both died (I think the Kenyi finished them off) So what other breeds can I keep, like my stocking ideas was like

1 Auratus
1 Red zebra
1 Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 Bumblebee
1 Ob peacock
1 Acei
1 Demasoni
Hi sorry for the delay, unfortunately 36 gallons is not large enough, one of my OB peacocks is just over 6 inches. Red Zebras are another highly aggressive Mbuna. The Kenyi would also have picked him out due to the coloring. Cichlids will not only go after another Male of the same species but they also will go after others of the same color and even markings. I don't say this to be negative either. I say it through my experiences and learning over the years. Cichlids love to swim and they are fast. Somedays I look at my 110g and think it's to small for them to really just go. Hence a bigger tank in my future. Lol. Honestly though, can you do certain situations, small tank, combining Mbuna with Peacocks? Yes allot can be done that text books say no BUT its allot of work, watching, cleaning, being ready to buy another tank, rescue a fish that's about to be killed and I've gone as far as stopping fights in the beginning. Then one day you realize that your aquarium has turned into a stressful job instead of being able to enjoy just watching them.

Hanzla Khan

Reaction score
edevingo said:
Hi sorry for the delay, unfortunately 36 gallons is not large enough, one of my OB peacocks is just over 6 inches. Red Zebras are another highly aggressive Mbuna. The Kenyi would also have picked him out due to the coloring. Cichlids will not only go after another Male of the same species but they also will go after others of the same color and even markings. I don't say this to be negative either. I say it through my experiences and learning over the years. Cichlids love to swim and they are fast. Somedays I look at my 110g and think it's to small for them to really just go. Hence a bigger tank in my future. Lol. Honestly though, can you do certain situations, small tank, combining Mbuna with Peacocks? Yes allot can be done that text books say no BUT its allot of work, watching, cleaning, being ready to buy another tank, rescue a fish that's about to be killed and I've gone as far as stopping fights in the beginning. Then one day you realize that your aquarium has turned into a stressful job instead of being able to enjoy just watching them.
I hear ya but thing is last year on Black Friday I went through a lot of hardship to convince my dad to upgrade the tank from a 10 gallon, so he agreed to this 36 and then I moved the fish from the 10g to this 36g. So buying another tank is a definitive no-no. So do you have any idea what species of cichlids or non-cichlids can live in this tank without me having the fear of seeing dead fish every time I see the tank. BTW thanks a lot you are really helping me out

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hanzla Khan said:
I hear ya but thing is last year on Black Friday I went through a lot of hardship to convince my dad to upgrade the tank from a 10 gallon, so he agreed to this 36 and then I moved the fish from the 10g to this 36g. So buying another tank is a definitive no-no. So do you have any idea what species of cichlids or non-cichlids can live in this tank without me having the fear of seeing dead fish every time I see the tank. BTW thanks a lot you are really helping me out
Your welcome. I've owned fish basically my entire life but Lake Malawi Cichlids are the ones that really got me into the hobby and are the ones that I know most about. I'm pretty sure Rams would do fine in a 36. They do require different water parameters and I know they prefer rocks and plants. Demasoni cichlid are a dwarf cichlid that I'm pretty sure can be housed in a 36. I had one and he was an active little guy. Lol. Obviously you'd have to rehome the 2 you have now though.
I always see people talking about Rams and they are beautiful fish. I'm sure if you post in that section, you'd find many people willing to help you with tank requirements, stocking ect.
I think most people (I know I didn't really think of this until years later) that fish size is only one factor in aquarium size. Mbuna,Peacocks,Haps are active and most swim large stretches of the lake, so they might fit in a smaller tank but they'll be like greyhounds on a 2ft track lol. It would also help allot if LFS didn't just sell fish just to make money but that's a completely dif conversation.
Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom