Cichlid Stocking idea 29 gallon tank

BobbyHill

Hello all, I recently upgraded my 29 gallon tropical community tank into a 55. Now I have a 29 gallon tank that is sitting here empty of fish but full of water. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to stock this tank? It currently has just a gravel substrate. So yeah I guess I want one or two cichlids that could live in there happily. What suggestions do you guys have as far as species goes and maybe tips on how to set the tank up for them to be happy. As I said earlier most likely only want one or two fish total in there, however if somebody can think of a smaller species of cichlid that could fit maybe a small school (3-6) I would consider that as well. Thanks in advance for the help!

carsonsgjs

Shelldwellers if you want numbers and have hard enough water, otherwise you are looking at dwarf cichlids. Bolivian rams, kribensis, apistogramma etc. All of which would prefer a sand substrate rather than gravel.

Linda1234

I'd skip the bolivian; kribs are an option but they are too prolific at breeding; borelli are really nice; keyholes are an options some of the Laetacara are pretty nice - i have the araguaiae (these are the lagest fish you would want in a 29 and might be pushing the limits of what a 29 can handle - they are not long but they have a lot of mass); some of the nanacara are interesting (I really like golden eye - not the pretties fish but i'd take him any day of the week over a cockatoo).
--
So to get this off in the right direction (since there are 100's of options); lets start by asking what type of water do you have (gh/kh/tds/ph) and if you plan to put anything else in aquarium with the dwarf cichlid. Answers to these two questions might help in answering your question. Also it might help to know your experience level as some fishes are much more fragile (german blue ram) than other fishes (apistogramma borelli).

Azedenkae

Hello all, I recently upgraded my 29 gallon tropical community tank into a 55. Now I have a 29 gallon tank that is sitting here empty of fish but full of water. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to stock this tank? It currently has just a gravel substrate. So yeah I guess I want one or two cichlids that could live in there happily. What suggestions do you guys have as far as species goes and maybe tips on how to set the tank up for them to be happy. As I said earlier most likely only want one or two fish total in there, however if somebody can think of a smaller species of cichlid that could fit maybe a small school (3-6) I would consider that as well. Thanks in advance for the help!
I like americans.

Convicts would be great there. And similar cichlids.

MacZ

So to get this off in the right direction (since there are 100's of options); lets start by asking what type of water do you have (gh/kh/tds/ph) and if you plan to put anything else in aquarium with the dwarf cichlid. Answers to these two questions might help in answering your question. Also it might help to know your experience level as some fishes are much more fragile (german blue ram) than other fishes (apistogramma borelli).
Second that approach. Without the least bit of info it's hard to recommend something.

BobbyHill

I'd skip the bolivian; kribs are an option but they are too prolific at breeding; borelli are really nice; keyholes are an options some of the Laetacara are pretty nice - i have the araguaiae (these are the lagest fish you would want in a 29 and might be pushing the limits of what a 29 can handle - they are not long but they have a lot of mass); some of the nanacara are interesting (I really like golden eye - not the pretties fish but i'd take him any day of the week over a cockatoo).
--
I don’t plan on putting anything else in there, maybe a snail but that’s not certain. The Ph is 7.2, I’m not sure on the TDS or Kh or exact Gh but my water supply is on the softer side

MacZ

I don’t plan on putting anything else in there, maybe a snail but that’s not certain. The Ph is 7.2, I’m not sure on the TDS or Kh or exact Gh but my water supply is on the softer side
The pH counts as neutral and is too low for shelldwellers. So Rift Lakers (Malawi, Tanganyika) are out, as are Central Americans. Leaves you with northern South America (Orinoco, Amazonia, Guyanas) and Central/West Africa.

It would still be great if you could either test for GH/KH or look in the analysis your water supplier should be providing on their website.

Eaton

--
why skip on the bolivian rams?

BVUBeavers

If you put convicts in make **** sure they are all males or all females. Convicts breed if they just look at each other.

MacZ

If you put convicts in make **** sure they are all males or all females. Convicts breed if they just look at each other.
Best to prevent that is to simply not keep convicts. :D

Linda1234

why skip on the bolivian rams?
They can be moody.
One more question - do you want male/female (allowing them to breed) or just a couple of males (looking pretty) ?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies