Cichlid Stocking Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jamie2201, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jamie2201

jamie2201 Valued Member Member

So I have a 67G tank with 4 angel (2 large and 2 small) 3 peppermint bristlenose and 7 albino Corys I was wanting to put a couple of small peaceful/ slightly aggressive cichlids in but don't know much about them in general and was wondering what species you guys would recommend I was thinking something like blue rams
    Any advice would be great thanks

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Electric blue acara would work well. A pair would be fine.

Firemouths would also work, but they need plenty of hiding spots.

Rams would do well but they occupy the lower portion of the tank and wouldn't add much to the aquarium.

Electric blue acara would be my choice.

3. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

How big do the electric blues get?

4. MikeRad89

Not big. 6 inches max.

People claim they get to 8 inches but I've never in my life seen one that large. The normal blue acara will though.

They're very friendly and hardy fish. Highly recommended.

5. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

Ok cool will have to have a look for them what kind of groupings do they like

6. MikeRad89

They're really docile. I keep 3 in a 40 breeder with rasboras and serpaes. 2 females and a male. They extremely tolerate of everyone. Great fish.

7. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

Ok cool thanks

I hear a lot about the cichlids being African and American ect what are the big differences apart from habitat can the co exist?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  8. MikeRad89

No I don't ever recommend keeping the two together.

When people say African cichlid they're usually talking about fish from lake Malawi and tanganyika. Both have extremely hard water and the majority of the species kept in the aquarium feed on algae near the shoreline.

South and Central American cichlids are largely carnivorous. South Americans prefer an acidic pH (usually) and central prefer something in the mid to high 7 range.

Besides diet though, the biggest reason for not keeping them together is temperament. Africans and lanky and rude, south and central are brutes. They'll shy away from a fight from the toughest mbuna for the longest time and decimate then when push comes to shove.

Not something I recommend for the home aquarium.

9. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

Ok cool lol the electric blues how would they do in a tank with electric yellows and blue rams?
    Sorry for the hundred questions but I'd rather know now then find out the hard way

10. MikeRad89

Electric blues and electric yellows are just general names for different species of African mbuna. They wouldn't do well in your tank by any means.

It's best to keep species from the same geographic area together.

11. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

Ok thanks a heap

12. D

Da_MOJO Valued Member Member

I 100% agree with the EBAs. They are awesome little fish and have a great personality. However, I do have one housed together with my Yellow lab and they get along fine. Water parameters are in a happy median and they look as happy as ever. In fact, they actually hide out together in the same rock area on occasion.

Just to note, my EBA is approx. 3.5" and my Yellow Lab is a good 4". They eat together with no aggression either. I was pretty stunned, but as they always say "it all depends on the fish" (in regards to their temperament).

Water Temp = 80
    pH = 7.8
    Hardness = 13°H

13. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

Does anyone have any photos of their tanks with cichlids

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice