Cichlid stocking for a 45 gallon Help

1. Fletchdads Initiate Member

I have a 45 gallon tank 48" x 13" x 17" that I plan on stocking with some cichlids. I was thinking new world but I'm not commited either way. I was just looking for some expert or personal advice on any compatible stocking.

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I really recommend bigger tanks for New World Cichlids at least 75g, unless they are Angelfish or GBR! Then you could use your tank for them. If you do a small African Cichlid tank You could do 1 male and 3 females per species of African Cichlid. Say you have Yellow labs and Demasoni, you could have 8 Cichlids at that ratio. Add a Pleco or maybe a Synodontis catfish if they were small enough!

3. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Agree and disagree with you. I tank that size I would only have one colony of dwarf mbunas. Also yellow labs are more peaceful that Demasoni so I would mix them imo.

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yeah I didn't know about how stocking would work. They were just examples of fish I wasn't saying mix the two.

But As long as they have it over filtered and keep up on water changes I wouldn't see any problem with 8 cichlids in this tank, If he even wanted to go that route. As it is 48" wide And most of my cichlids stay towards the bottom. The width for them is what matters most.

Just my :;2cents

5. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I will still do dwarf cichlid it will work out better. :) also your fish must be shy cause mine go all over the tank. The length is what matters they love long tanks going from one end to another.

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yes my bad, that is what I ment, Length. LOL don't know how I messed that up.

I just have rock caves covering most of the bottom of the tank and they are constantly going in and out of them, digging around in the sand. They do use the upper part of the tank just to beg for food, but usually only when I'm around. Otherwise they are playing in sand and exploring the caves.

I have a mostly male community 20 male African cichlids, 3 female Ivory heads, a rainbow shark, and a BN pleco and I have ZERO aggression issues. People say Yellow labs, Kribs, and kenyi won't mix! But I have all in my tank, and nobody has nipped fins or seems stressed. My Thick skinned Tiger Obliq. is the only one that has problems with stress in my tank, but he is a Lake Victoria, and my conditions are more Malawi oriented.

7. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I've done it, mixing labs with just one female kenyi. She terrozied the whole tank constantly. Are all males different species? I had three male aceis the biggest one killed the other two :(.

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yes all different species! Was going to be a male only community but I got some females free from a friend and now I have 25 fry! Beautiful Ivory heads! So I'll have to sell some of them! I have 2 female kenyi now too and not just a male kenyi after last night :p But its all going good, you can tell the male Kenyi really is the boss of the tank, but sometimes my Johanni will get a hair up his butt and try to be top dog. That only happens maybe once a month and that is the only time anybody gets aggressive.

9. Fletchdads Initiate Member

I have a pair of pelvicachromis taeniatus and a GBR in some of my tanks so I was hoping to get some slightly larger cichlids. If I did the African, you think I should just do one larger group of dwarf cichlids like labs? I was reading that some of the CA/SA cichlids had "minimum" tank sizes of 30g. Would it be possible to have a few single fish like that or is that pushing it with territory boundaries?

10. Fletchdads Initiate Member

The 48" length is what made me optimistic about having an appropriate size tank for cichlids