Cichlid Stocking For A 40 Gallon Breeder

DeanTheFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
my mother loves cichlids and she wants a county of cichlids or other colorful fish in a 40 gallon breeder but shes does not want cichlids like shell dwellers and she would prefer them to stay small but they can grow bigger with the exption that they have to stay in a 40 gallon breeder

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I hate African cichlids! Been there, done that, boring AF! Well shellies are fun, the rest not so much!
I agree with Fredward! Those are both nice fish, small and pretty and colorful.

You can look here though for all sorts of suggestions:

Cookie Cutter - 40-gallons

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you're interested in just a pair and okay with breeding occurring then a pair of convicts or a pair of Honduran red points would be quite nice IMO. If you want to go with another pair that would breed but is truly one of the most aggressive and downright nastiest CA cichlids especially for the size then Neetroplus Nematopus (commonly known as neets) are an amazing choice but I cannot stress enough the aggression they present. If you want more than just a pair then I agree rams or apistos would be pretty good

DeanTheFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok thank you for all the suggestions I will look into all of them but I have 2 more questions and if this is not possible that's ok but can any of these cichlids go with 2 bristle nose (breeding pair) and for Q 2 can these go in a 30 gallon and I will upload what cichlid we chouse.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom