cichlid problem...

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by wizardfitz, Apr 13, 2010.

1. wizardfitzValued MemberMember

is there something wrong with our cichlid? we have 4 of these, we got them together with the tank when we bought it, dont know what kind of cichlid. recently moved it to a 125g with all our other cichlids. since the move this one had been doing a little dance with a couple other cichlids and 1 of its dance partners had been gravel digging, any insights?

Attached Files:

2. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Digging in the gravel is normal for cichlids. The dancing part I don't know about. lol

3. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Is the fish swimming normally or is it swimming erratically & spending lots of time near the surface? I've seen big females that are full of eggs before though not usually as big as yours. It looks like it coud be suffering from bloat, a swim bladder disorder. Fish effected with bloat usually spend most of thier time near the surface & have trouble swimming properly.

4. wizardfitzValued MemberMember

by dancing I meant it was swimming around in circles with the other cichlid (I hope that made it clear, best way I could describe it LOL)

it swims normal like it usually does, I will have to watch if its staying up on the surface more, that I didnt really watch for. what can I do if its bloat?

5. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

You could feed it some peas, from what I've read.

6. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Some bloat reading.....

Brian

7. wizardfitzValued MemberMember

@ Brian

so I am assuming you think its bloat? or just suggesting I read the link in case it turns out to be bloat?

also in the link, its mentioned something about holding fry, dont really know how to tell if it is or not, any suggestions, tips, etc?

@ Nutter

it swims around normally, it does not stay up on the surface more than anywhere else in the tank, its all over the tank

8. btate617Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't say for sure it is bloat, however if you are going to be keeping Africans you should know about it. Thats why I gave the link.

When a fish belly swells downward like yours two things come to mind for me. it is either a very gravid female (full of eggs) or a well fed fish.
    Look at the fish head on, if its belly is large but sticking out on the sides then I would think of bloat.

Africans that are holding..... they hold them in their mouth. So the chin area of the fish would be swollen.

Hope that helps some.

Brian

9. wizardfitzValued MemberMember

sure does, thanks Brian, will watch my fishy right now and observe, thanks again

10. wizardfitzValued MemberMember

ok here goes

I have since quarantined the cichlid, hasnt been eating but other than that, its been a week and it seems to be thriving, havent treated or anything, just separated it from the general population due to possibility of having bloat

any thoughts? should I just put it back or wait it out some more?

11. btate617Well Known MemberMember

I would wait until it is eating that way it can eat and build up a bit of strength before going back to the main tank and having to compete for food.

A week is not that long without food for a cichlid that size. 3 weeks isn't much of a concern either as long as there are no other signs of problems, remember when Africans spawn the female will go 3+ weeks without eating. So if all else seems well I wouldn't be too concerned and would give it more time to begin to eat. Also from changing the tank it was in will cause a bit of stress and it will need to get comfortable in many cases before it begins to eat. I have had some larger Central American cichlids (around 8-10") go 5 weeks w/o food when they were moved then they decided it was time to eat again and all was well.

I am not saying there is nothing possibly still wrong with the fish, but if all else seems well it just is not eating I would give it more time without much worry.

Brian