Cichlid mates. help

Mindelo

Hello, at this moment my tank have: jewel cichlid, green terror, jack dempsey and convict cichlid.
I have two questions:
1 - can i add parrot cichlid?
2 - does albino convict cichlid breed with "regular" convict?

I'm having trouble finding other fish i can add with them, please give m some sugestions

Edit: oscar grow too fast, so it's not an option at this moment

AggressiveAquatics

If your going to add a blood parrot it should be full grown when going in. Blood parrots should usually only be kept with peaceful-territorial fish not aggressive fish like jack Dempsey and green terrors. I’d say it could work just be ready to make changes if it doesn’t.

Upvote 0

Mindelo

Jack dempsey and green terror are the gentle ones, i'm more worried with the jewels.
Any other suggestions of other fish?
A friend suggested me to add tinfoil barb, but they are not an option since they grow big and are a schoaling fish. I could add at most two, would it work?

Upvote 0

GlennO

Tinfoil barbs need a huge tank and yes those convicts will breed with each other. They can also breed with your JD.

Upvote 0

Mindelo

have anyone kept tiger barb with this kind of cichlids?
could it work?

Upvote 0

GlennO

have anyone kept tiger barb with this kind of cichlids?
could it work?

I haven't tried it but yes it could work. Cichlids generally ignore non cichlids unless they are protecting eggs or fry.

Upvote 0

fallfever

If you have all of those cichlids in your tank, I would not try tiger barbs, or I would certainly not have an emotional attachment to them. I've known them to disappear with jacks or terrors. Giant danios work well, BA tetras are possible, both in schools of at least six. Did not see the size of the tank, but may have overlooked it.

Upvote 0

Mindelo

I've known them to disappear with jacks or terrors.
Wow you make it sound like some serial killer movie
I guess i'll let this go and stick with an albino convict cichlid

Upvote 0

fallfever

LOL...well, maybe that's a bit harsh. Those can be predatory fish by nature not serial killers. As they get larger and older they tend to be a bit grumpier. I have or have had each of the fish you have listed and have learned a few hard lessons along the way. Sadly, tiger barbs were one of them. Fine for years and then there were none. They lived happy, productive lives, just short ones

Upvote 0

americanninja

How did it go, did you ever end up adding the blood parrot to your tank? I'm curious to know as I have similar tank mates. I'm actually dealing with an issue right now with the juvenile green terror I got. He has already killed the patty in my tank and he tried to take two bites out of the new Jewel cichlid I added to the tank, which is probably an inch bigger than him. He hasn't messed with the Molly (of equal size) nor the blood parrot. I'm trying to figure out if I just need to give him away or not.

Upvote 0

Mindelo

How did it go, did you ever end up adding the blood parrot to your tank? I'm curious to know as I have similar tank mates. I'm actually dealing with an issue right now with the juvenile green terror I got. He has already killed the patty in my tank and he tried to take two bites out of the new Jewel cichlid I added to the tank, which is probably an inch bigger than him. He hasn't messed with the Molly (of equal size) nor the blood parrot. I'm trying to figure out if I just need to give him away or not.
I could not find anyone selling blood parrot (still looking) so i added 2 convict albinos

Upvote 0

americanninja

Really? Where do you live? Pretty much every petco around me sells blood parrots. Actually I picked up one yesterday to be a tank mate with my current blood parrot. He looked so healthy, colorful, and interactive. I couldn’t avoid buying him.

Upvote 0

Mindelo

Really? Where do you live? Pretty much every petco around me sells blood parrots. Actually I picked up one yesterday to be a tank mate with my current blood parrot. He looked so healthy, colorful, and interactive. I couldn’t avoid buying him.
oh man, i wish it was this easy.
i live in the Cape Verde islands (Africa), very dificult to get cichlids around here. :(

Upvote 0

americanninja

Ah, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. But you probably get some other cool fish that we can't get here. But yeah, Blood Parrots definitely appear pretty common here in the US. I really don't understand all the haters on these fish, simply because they are a hybrid. They have such cool personalities that I don't think you will see in any other fish. Anyway, hopefully you can find someone that sells them. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
MacZ