Cichlid losing color???

1. Marinero Member Member

:D I've been looking at cichlids here and there doing research. At Walmart, the "assorted african cichlids" they had were very bright in color and still only about an inch long. Then at Petsmart and Petco, they're "assorted african cichlids" looked a little more pale and were larger...about 2 or 3 inches (the yellow and blue with black stips).

I'm not sure if this means that maybe it looks like the same species but isn't and that's why the paleness, if it's the diet, or if they loose brightness with age??? :-\ Any ideas?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think it could be any or all of those things. Food definately can make a difference in coloration. Sress can also be a factor. There are many of the african species that are the same type fish, but different color variations. Lack of color can mean a lot of things. I think I would buy the ones that looked the healthiest. If you can, find a breeder in your area, or even a fellow hobbyist with fry for sale. Do you have a local fish club?

3. Marinero Member Member

No local fish club, I'm a pure newb. And already upgrading! ;D

4. dano569 Member Member

it could be all of those things and also the color of the substrate on some cichlids.