Cichlid label?

lonehunter

Does anyone know what species or hybrid these cichlids are some kinda look like firemouths don’t they

A201

Most look like Convict cichlid variants to me. The last fish has similar coloration to the Salvini cichlid.

chromedome52

Mixture of Red Devil/Midas, with some Convicts, and a couple that actually look like hybrids.

AggressiveAquatics

Th first one has the color eyes and mouth of a blood parrot but not the body?

Oh wait it’s a Midas I think

lonehunter

I got in touch and well your all part right I guess there actually hybrids between the convict cichlid and the blood parrot the first photo really does look like a normal body blood parrot so I guess it won’t have the problems of a short body one so it I’ll live longer but there all hybrids between the 2

AggressiveAquatics

lonehunter said:
I got in touch and well your all part right I guess there actually hybrids between the convict cichlid and the blood parrot the first photo really does look like a normal body blood parrot so I guess it won’t have the problems of a short body one so it I’ll live longer but there all hybrids between the 2
I think some are pure convicts though because blood parrot convict hybrids (polar blue parrots) only get around 2-3 inches and have short stubby bodies

also the bottom one with the orange and black doesn’t look to Healthy he has clamped fins

chromedome52

Bloody Parrots are Deformed Red Devils. Despite the massive sales pitch saying BP is a hybrid, it is not. Over 20 years ago, when the first BP started showing up, genetic studies were done at the University of Michigan. They found only Amphilophus labiatus DNA in those fish. Despite the truth being scientifically known, the falsehood has continued to be propagated in the hobby. The evidence is all around you; Rams, Mollies, Platies, and other deformed fish, often called "Balloon Bodied", are the same spinal deformity as the Bloody Parrot.

Red Devil x Convict hybrids date back to the 1960s or 70s, and were not deformed like the BP. They simply were too ugly to propagate.

lonehunter

chromedome52 said:
Bloody Parrots are Deformed Red Devils. Despite the massive sales pitch saying BP is a hybrid, it is not. Over 20 years ago, when the first BP started showing up, genetic studies were done at the University of Michigan. They found only Amphilophus labiatus DNA in those fish. Despite the truth being scientifically known, the falsehood has continued to be propagated in the hobby. The evidence is all around you; Rams, Mollies, Platies, and other deformed fish, often called "Balloon Bodied", are the same spinal deformity as the Bloody Parrot.

Red Devil x Convict hybrids date back to the 1960s or 70s, and were not deformed like the BP. They simply were too ugly to propagate.
Really where did you find this study where can I see it

MacZ

Hanneman, E. (2000): The Blood-Red Parrot: Hybrid or Mutation? Tropical Fish Hobbyist 69 (4): 94-97.

Only reference I could find. And I can't find a copy, so quoting the what a german source says, quoting this article the hybrid thing could be a misinformation spread by the original breeders to discourage competition.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom