Cichlid In A 15?

2211Nighthawk

so now that I have successfully wiped out my entire tank including my beautiful ram, I have one little ghost shrimp left. In other words, an empty tank. What I would love to do, is have one “big” cichlid, the ones in the “assorted ciclid” tank at my petstore. Pretty much, can I keep a single cichlid in a 15. Not the rams or kribs, but something a little bigger.

If not, plan B is to move my betta in his 5 gallon to the 15, and turn his 5 gallon into my wanna-be-shrimp tank. In that case, what can go with a betta. He’s pretty well mannered, he dosen’t care about the ghost shrimp in his tank of the male guppy he was housed with for a month and a half. I don’t have access to kulI loaches, they don’t survive quartine.

TexasDomer

david1978

biggest problem with the assorted chichlids is just that. They are an assortment of what ever has bred that don't fit the true definition of one fish. They have the potential to be anything in the 4-6 inch range or they may be in the 12-14 inch range. Being a mish mash of this or that its hard to determine what it is or may become.

2211Nighthawk

biggest problem with the assorted chichlids is just that. They are an assortment of what ever has bred that don't fit the true definition of one fish. They have the potential to be anything in the 4-6 inch range or they may be in the 12-14 inch range. Being a mish mash of this or that its hard to determine what it is or may become.
If I got pictures could you guys figure it out?

Five 97

The cichlids that you'll find in the "assorted cichlids" tank at petstores will be, for the most part, a haphazard mixture of crossbred and hybrid cichlids originating from the various lakes in Africa, a 15 gallon wouldn't be sufficient to house any single one of them (assuming they are all africans (other than shelldwellers which you very well likely won't find at petstores)).

What are the dimensions of the 15g? I would just go with your second plan and upgrade your betta's tank.

2211Nighthawk

A single Cockatoo Cichlid might work but weekly 50% water changes will have to be done.
Becuase it’s pushing stocking or because it’s a messy fish?

2211Nighthawk

The cichlids that you'll find in the "assorted cichlids" tank at petstores will be, for the most part, a haphazard mixture of crossbred and hybrid cichlids originating from the various lakes in Africa, a 15 gallon wouldn't be sufficient to house any single one of them (assuming they are all africans (other than shelldwellers which you very well likely won't find at petstores)).

What are the dimensions of the 15g? I would just go with your second plan and upgrade your betta's tank.
Whoops, 24 long by 12 by 12.

Lance0414

Becuase it’s pushing stocking or because it’s a messy fish?
Because it is a sensitive fish when first introduced.

Mike1995

maybe look around for she'll dwellers. Harder to find but otherwise a 15 gallon isn't really a good size for any cichlid. The only time I've ever attempted that is a few years ago I put a young flowerhorn in a 20 gallon cube. He was active as ever but once he grew up, I figured out I bit off more than I can chew. With Africans a 15 gallon is definitely not enough. Especially with their bioload.

2211Nighthawk

Because it is a sensitive fish when first introduced.
The tank has been running for a few months so it is established. I’ll check them out.

Oh! Another question, since it was various diseases that wiped out the tank, how long until I can reintroduce fish?

maybe look around for she'll dwellers. Harder to find but otherwise a 15 gallon isn't really a good size for any cichlid. The only time I've ever attempted that is a few years ago I put a young flowerhorn in a 20 gallon cube. He was active as ever but once he grew up, I figured out I bit off more than I can chew. With Africans a 15 gallon is definitely not enough. Especially with their bioload.
I can NOT find shell dwellers for the life of me! It’s rediculious! And I don’t order online, I’m having enough heck with trying to get a dumb iPad case for my sister.

Ok, then ideas for betta tankmates? I’d love to get corries but I don’t think 24x13 is a big enough foot print.

Achilles

The tank has been running for a few months so it is established. I’ll check them out.

Oh! Another question, since it was various diseases that wiped out the tank, how long until I can reintroduce fish?

I can NOT find shell dwellers for the life of me! It’s rediculious! And I don’t order online, I’m having enough heck with trying to get a dumb iPad case for my sister.

Ok, then ideas for betta tankmates? I’d love to get corries but I don’t think 24x13 is a big enough foot print.
Pygmy corys would work in a 15g. Just make sure you have sand or a small/round gravel substrate and make places for them to hide.

Five 97

Just another suggestion - there's also the laetacara genus, like the dwarf flags or the red breasts. They aren't especially hard to find and are decently hardy, I've only ever known them to reach 2 inches at max (just a little over in some cases).

As an added plus, their also always smiling no matter what.

Lance0414

I agree with Five 97 , I plan on getting a Dwarf Flag fr my 24 Gallon and the they are peaceful, small, and colorful, perfect for a nano tank.

david1978

Why does everyone want to put pygmie cories in little tanks with bettas. Yes they are smaller but they swim all over the tank unlike most cories and are some of the most hyper fish I have ever seen.

TexasDomer

And pygmy cories should be in cooler water than a betta.

A pair of GBR, Apistos, etc. would work in this tank (not with the betta).

Agree that one of the assorted cichlids wouldn't be a good choice.

Mike1995

I see you live in Canada. I'm from the US so I'm not sure how far it is or anything, but king of diy on YouTube also lives in Canada. He goes to this place called one fish two fish. Judging by the fact he gets crazy amounts of fish there for his 40 aquariums(or however many, I'd say its probably a good place to look. I've never found shell dwellers at a pet smart or any big box stores, but its seems smaller, or non big box stores have them.

2211Nighthawk

I knew the dwarf needed warmer water then the betta, and I don’t think I have access to them anyways. My store is pretty limited.

I have kribs in my other tank, they’re a hoot, but folks have kinda been hinting as the less tanks the better so I’m probably gonna move the betta over and figure it out that way.

He’s in east Ontario I think and I’m in Manitoba. It’s a heck of a drive either way.

2211Nighthawk

The other idea I’m kinda playing with is my betta in the 15, plant the crud out of it and have cherry shrimp. Kills 2 birds with one stone. I’ve had it where I have a bunch of flat rocks just off the sand so that the little ghosties could hide from the Ram until they got bigger. He coulden’t fit underneath. Would that work? Or bad idea.

2211Nighthawk

So just for *ahem* cud and giggles

“South American” cichlids

3DC775B3-D882-47A5-801B-35B3DE4213CB.png
AF9E8B18-2E39-4DB6-B5D0-5403E94A67FF.png

And “African” cichlids

A39BC73D-9762-4D53-B61A-BBB1D78D7F0D.png

And a half beak? He’s pretty cool looking.

81E2CDA7-033A-4D0D-9C5E-EE9098FFCEE4.png

TexasDomer

Betts might try to wedge himself under, so I wouldn't try that.

2211Nighthawk

Betts might try to wedge himself under, so I wouldn't try that.
Yeah...he’s got a castle that he likes to sit in the window.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies
Views
abarb
  • Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp