Cichlid Identification Please!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Amirrorsj3909, Apr 17, 2017.

1. A

Amirrorsj3909 New Member Member

I need a little help Identifying these cichlids if at all possible! I would love to get to know all about them. Everything (name, feeding habits, and if at all possible genders)! I want to be sure i am properly caring for them and not making mistakes. If you need more information please ask and i will tell! I have included a video that I hope captures them well enough.

2. shootinfool73

shootinfool73 New Member Member

Looks to me like aulonocara peacocks (the light creme colored), maybe a blotched red zebra, electric yellow labs, and the blue with yellow tail is a yellow tailed acei.
    I can't help at all with sexes, especially with those peacocks if they can even be determined now. The acei is likely male... and the yellow labs are more than likely male too, simply because of the brighter colors and most stores get males because they are what sell the most.

They are Lake Malawi cichlids....the labs and acei are mbuna (rock-dwelling)... they like to hang around the rock/bottom structures, dig in the sand, and are typically the most territorial/aggressive of the africans. Yellow labs really arent that bad, from what I've seen though.

mbuna are mostly vegetarian.. peacocks/haps are the larger ones typically open water swimmers and eat more protein, but all eat a small amounts of either. Keep them on cichlid pellets which are formulated with only a moderate amt of protein (I'd recommend New Life Spectrum, or Omega One) and they'll be fine.

Your plants might start getting eaten up, and possibly uprooted because they are vegetarians and dig... Most cichlid keepers just keep rocky aquascapes (real or fake -- I use fake holy rock) with a sandy substrate and no plants.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Amirrorsj3909 New Member Member

I know tons of cichlids sold commonly in pet stores like pet smart are hybrids/mixes which is where I got my aulonocara peacocks from. My question about them is can we tell what coloration they will have when they are older? I figured on the yellow labs. I can't wait to see the yellow brighten up as they get older. As for the peacock cichlids, around what age can they be sexed? I was looking closer at the ones you called yellow tail acei and had a question about that. One is way lighter in color, not sure if that showed in the video, but does their coloring mean anything when it comes to gender? I know all cichlids are different, but what makes you think they are male? I am feeding them small aqueon pellets. Is that fine? I also put in an algae wafer every other day, is that okay for the vegetarians? My plants do get gnawed at but are doing great for the time being with four runners just from one alone. I like them in there but as long as the cichlids that need them are fed I'm okay with having to get more all the time. I would love to grow beautiful algea in the tank. Not sure how though. It is appealing to me to see. I'm sorry for all of the questions. I am on a quest to learn more about these addictive fish and this hobby!

4. shootinfool73

I'm not saavy enough with fishkeeping and cichlids to answer the sexing question, and I have never yet had an interest in breeding. From the fish I have kept from general community fish like catfish and tetra and gourami, to what I have now -- african cichlids, discus, angels, and a clown loaches (separate tanks) -- I know the ability to sex is different for many species, and some the average person can't tell until they mature and start pairing up. I only speculate on the sex of the average male cichlids because with many fish species, and especially so with cichlids, the males typically have the brighter colors and are most attractive (and easier to sell because of that).

As for coloration -- thats something I found most interesting about cichlids -- peacocks or mbuna -- their coloration changes quite a bit as they mature... but again, its especially the males, and depends on the specific species of peacock too. Some develop beautiful bright blues, purples, oranges/reds, etc... Females, however, often keep their drab colors... If one acei is darker than the other... it may just be that way now, but if there is a sex difference, probably the darker one that stands out more will be the male.

I dont know that any of the foods are 'bad'... but there are brands that cost a bit more, but are higher quality in nutrients (just like buying dog or cat food -- you can get Ol' Roy from Walmart, but it's not "good" food). The one I mentioned New Life Spectrum is more costly, but considered the highest quality -- typically you only see this at more dedicated aquarium/pet stores, or online. Omega One is right behind, I feel, and it is also available at big stores like Petsmart and Petco. Wafers are good -- the mbuna especially will like them, just not as easy to eat as pellets. Omega one has a regular cichlid formula pellet, but also has a veggie/kelp pellet too that's great. I used to get them from petsmart in an 8 oz bottle.. and my mbuna loved it...grew like weeds on it...

As for the plants... yeah I think you will have to keep buying them. also, if the mbunas start digging around them, they may get uprooted from time to time.... so it may become a hassle... do you want a planted tank or do you want mbunas :)

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The ID of the "Acei" is correct. This species gets quite large - up to 6" - and needs at least a 75 gallon tank. I see one hybrid Peacock, the very pale fish, which will color up if it is a male, but stay that color if it is female. The fish with the black blotch on the body is a Red Zebra OB, may be another hybrid, and is a very aggressive species. That one is possibly male, and has already displayed aggression in that video. You have no yellow labs, at least, not pure. The small orange-yellow fish may be red zebra/yellow lab hybrids, or just young zebras. Need better shots of them to make a guess of which. I just took a second look, they may even be another species altogether. Still need some closer images of them.

6. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

The grey one is an asian elephant

7. shootinfool73

Yeah...They looked bright yellow (to me) in the video...I assumed juvenile labs.
    +1 on the aggressiveness of the blotched red zebra if that's what it was (I was wondering that too). I had 3 red zebras (mostly pure orange in color) when I first populated my cichlid tank. The largest is the only one left.

8. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

I have like the most passive OB zebras. Theyre nearly double the size of all other inhabitants and they are giant babies. I have a newer aquarium with a small OB zebra and he's already very aggressive. I might have to rehome him when he grows. I don't want a 3 $ fish to wipe out a tank full of 20 $ fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice