Cichlid identification help!

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How is this fish called? Here in Mauritius it is known as "berri" and I've always wondered how it is called in English.

Attachments

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm, tough one. It looks a little like a Red Devil to me, but I'm not sure.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
deff looks like it has devil in it....hybrid maybe?

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it's a red devil?

By the way do you know where I got him? Well that fish is a lucky one see. I got it from a place called Water Park. There were ponds full of that sort of fish there. That day they decided to get rid of those fish and believe me there were so many! Well, just think how they got rid of it.

They removed all the water AND let them die to death! There were so many who were struggling in the mud. When I was going back home, we asked the employees there if we could take some. Then that's how I got it. I took about 5, but the other died and I was left with this one. Lucky fish!

Well believe me or not, this is how I got it. Those fish are in abundance in Mauritius, that's why they got rid of it.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What a story! You tried your best, so well done. I don't know about cichlids, but I love pics so I came to have a look, thanks for sharing!!

EDIT: from this link (not the best...) it states the fish's posh name is Lethrinus mahsena whatever that is lol. Seems like it is just the berri fish...

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I still don't know how it's called in English though!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
See my edited above post, or an obsolete name is the yellow tailed emperor, now the SKY EMPEROR...

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No lol this is the saltwater berri fish that one in the picture is the freshwater one. Well thanks for your time though. I appreciate that you even went to this Mauritian site to search for it.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay on the web berri fish are saltwater but this one is a freshwater. I don't know why it's called berri though but many people call that berri here.... Well, it's just a name they gave to it.... If anyone knows what fish it is please tell.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have a lot of time right now, but it looks like a Madagascar species to me.
I will try and help out later when I have the chance.

Brian

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DaroRs said:
Okay on the web berri fish are saltwater but this one is a freshwater. I don't know why it's called berri though but many people call that berri here.... Well, it's just a name they gave to it.... If anyone knows what fish it is please tell.
so is this a fresh water or salt water fish LOL ...(it dont take much to confuse me thats for sure )

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That one is a FRESHWATER FISH. I told that I don't know why they called this berri which is a saltwater fish on the web. It's just a name local people call this fish, that's all! Lol shawnie

EDIT: If you look closely at the right, there's a red parrot cichlid. This is a proof that it's a freshwater tank

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay my LFS told me that those so called "beri" in Mauritius are in fact red tilapia! Now I want to know, how much are they in America if they are sold there?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads