Cichlid identification help

Petricokecolalove

Reaction score
Hello all! Thank you for your help.
I'll start off with saying I was given a fish by my girlfriend. This fish in question is a type of cichlid. And was living in a 30 gallon, tall, half circle tank with many types of glo tetras, as well as 3 full grown Kribensis, also two common plecs. Personally I think it was and is overstocked but we won't get into that, different time for a different rant. Along with all those was this mystery " rhino fish" as she called it. The fish stayed at the very bottom of her tank in the corner and easily evered moved, looked like a fish ornament kind if petrified. Would dart for the food bit that's it. Never bothered any of the fish in there one bit after two years to the date I took her home, surprisingly because it's a cichlid! So I quarantined and treated with e.m, ichx, and general cure. Because I ended up finding scaring on the forehead as well as what looked like a dot or "hole" beginning or was always present which would explian the behavior in the first place of the fish. The fish has perfectly recovered and is healthy swimming around my tank, hole U shaped dent thing and scars are now gone, eating like a hog and even chasing around the others and nipping my beutiful L144a longfin varieties fins, how cute... I'm not happy about that but I have plenty of space and coverage for hiding so shouldn't be to much of an issue for me. Now all of that's just to catch you up to speed. I have searched over and over, repetatively, hysterically, and obsessively searched for what this thing is. Please help. The fish is a total 3 1/2" to 4" fish has blue/ green speckled down it's body but not quite that of a jewel, the specks also branch out to the fins with yellow coloration in the fins beginning at the base of the fins with a very slight red outlining on the edge of the fins. On the body it has beside the gill or has a circle that looks like a false eye. The fish itself is a mosaic patterning of what looks like brown and silverish on the top part of the lateral line of the fish, while the lower part is silver. It has big golden eyes. I'm stumped with this thing it looks like 10 different species! For goodness sake! Here are some pictures to possibly help with identification.

Attachments

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks more like a Hemichromis species to me, though couldn't say exactly which one.

OP
P

Petricokecolalove

Reaction score
Hemichromis bimaculatus ? Possibly !
Looks more like a Hemichromis species to me, though couldn't say exactly which one.
[/QUOTE]

! That looks pretty close actually. I think we found it, wow that was fast thank you guys !
TWiG87 said:
Looks like a Jack Dempsey..
Not positive though.
I thought so at first but jacks got way to much color and speckles, but then again I'm not sure if the fish may be stunted or what. But the Hemichromis B. Is the closest if saw the fish in person, the pictures I provided kind of suck sorry about that.

OP
P

Petricokecolalove

Reaction score
This one in particular, maybe it's still just bouncing back? But that's pretty darn close just a lot more dull with mine. Maybe she's just old or malnourished still

Attachments

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that H. bimaculatus & H. lifalilI are the species most often seen for sale.

OP
P

Petricokecolalove

Reaction score
GlennO said:
I think that H. bimaculatus & H. lifalilI are the species most often seen for sale.
Well it's definetelynsomething common. The tank in her living room are fornthe most part all basic assorted cichlids, yellow labs ect. So I would say it's safe to bet on that, it's just, the really dull and no offense to the fish Ryna but ugly voloring throws me off a lot. As most other pictures of the species have a lot better coloring for some reason. But it's safe to say we found it. Thank you for all your help I think I'm happy with the I.d. Hope to see you all around the chats again !

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In time he/she may color up more as well and confirm your ID. Great looking fish either way

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hemichromis bimaculatus has never been seen for sale. The only ones ever in the hobby were collected from the wild by the owner, who was unable to get them to breed. Use of that name is due to a mis-identification over 100 years ago, and even though it was corrected nearly 50 years ago, people still use the wrong name quite often. The common Jewel Cichlid is Hemichromis guttatus, and the strain of Jewel that is usually sold as lifalillI is also a population of this species. The real lifalillI is a red and yellow fish from the Congo basin, and while it has been in the hobby for some time, it is still rarely seen.

OP's fish is a Hemichromis guttatus, common Jewel Cichlid. Extremely wide range in the wild, and quite variable in color. It is not unusual for a single specimen to be fairly calm, but get a pair breeding and most other fish are in danger for their lives!

New Threads