Cichlid? ID

quils02

Reaction score
Walked into my neighbor's house today to see this.
1590975609604.png

was quite shocked. I have 40, 20, and 30 gallon at home, all between 2 and 5 years old; I consider myself an experienced fish keeper so I asked her to PLEASE let me take this fish. Will be taking it home tomorrow. Apparently her cousin came into town and gave them it out of his pond?? I've kept africans successfully before but this one is unfamiliar to me. I understand what is required of cichlids and am prepared to put him in as big a tank as needed (with no other species, correct?). But I would like to know what it is!

Best Answer - View MacZ's answer

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might be lucky to be alive by tomorrow. Ammonia will build up in that little bowl quite quickly.

I haven't kept Africans for a long time, possibly a male lombardoi cichlid?

Edit: actually, looks more like a Red Zebra.

OP
quils02

quils02

Reaction score
How can I safely transition him into his new tank? I'm planning putting him into a 20g for now. I just ordered a 40 but it won't be here for a few days. Should I test the ammonia levels in his current bowl? I obviously won't put him straight into clean water.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, definitely a Red Zebra, possibly a male. And it doesn't look good.

You can put it in with any other Mbuna / Malawi cichlids.

If you need anything about feeding requirements, just ask.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
quils02 said:
How can I safely transition him into his new tank? I'm planning putting him into a 20g for now. I just ordered a 40 but it won't be here for a few days. Should I test the ammonia levels in his current bowl? I obviously won't put him straight into clean water.
Actually, don't bother with ammonia levels in the bowl. Check the hardness and pH. Should the pH differ less than 1.0 just put it in the tank. Long term it should be kept in hard water. So in case your water is rather soft, you better do something about it by putting in some crushed coral.

OP
quils02

quils02

Reaction score
MacZ said:
Actually, don't bother with ammonia levels in the bowl. Check the hardness and pH. Should the pH differ less than 1.0 just put it in the tank. Long term it should be kept in hard water. So in case your water is rather soft, you better do something about it by putting in some crushed coral.
If I move from super high nitrates/nitrites in his current bowl to one with regular levels it will be okay? The pH and temp is similar and we definitely have hard water

OP
quils02

quils02

Reaction score
I've been slowly acclimating. I don't really know how this works and just don't want him to go into shock or something. Probably 40% of the water in his container is fresh water now. Should I just net him and put into tank?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
quils02 said:
I've been slowly acclimating. I don't really know how this works and just don't want him to go into shock or something. Probably 40% of the water in his container is fresh water now. Should I just net him and put into tank?
Either way it’s probably fine. I would just move him and get him into a proper tank instead of keeping him in water with high ammonia

OP
quils02

quils02

Reaction score
Ok I put him in. He jumped out if his net about 2 feet onto the floor....oops. Got him into the tank though. He is hovering above the bottom; swishing his tail able to swim, he isn't sitting on the ground. But he is "gasping" a lot. And idk if its a thing in cichlids but he also looks like he has stress lines

**there is a bubbler in there he has air

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most will be from the fall. Very unfortunate. Acclimating wouldn't have been necessary. The levels of all nitrogen components are irrelevant when acclimating a fish. pH, temperature and hardness are the essential readings to know when moving fish.

OP
quils02

quils02

Reaction score
thanks for your help everyone! I know I will be back, probably tomorrow lol
1591059862228.png

he is a really pretty fish. he stopped doing the gasping thing too and is moving around fine. He came to the surface when I put my fingers in but otherwise stays at the bottom; is that a stress response? Also, can cichlids live by themselves? how long would he be alright living on his own?
His top and tail fins are torn and he has an open wound on his other side... my neighbor had him in that bowl for maybe 3-4 days; the first day I went I didn't see any injuries, the third day he had a big sore on the side. I can't get a picture right now but it's about the size of his eyeball. The sand that's in there is sand from his original pond

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yepp, stress response. The injury may either be from jumping out of the bowl or ammonia burn. Would have to see it.

It can be on its own. Mbuna are not schooling fish, but not really solitary either. It might feel less stressed with other fish, but in that 20g tank it is better off alone. For group keeping of Mbuna a 40g is the absolute minimum, no negotiating, no compromise.

OP
quils02

quils02

Reaction score
I've been watching him from across the room all morning. Just this past hour he started swimming around the whole tank checking things out :D previously he had only sat at the bottom. Whenever I get close to the tank he turns his injured side away from me so I can't get a picture.
1591116258280.png

The first picture in the thread is from the first day I saw him and this picture is from the third day I saw him (i took him home the next day). I know this doesn't help much, I will try and get a better one but every time I get anywhere near the tank he turns that side away from me, even if I stand and wait. I'm not sure how we would've gotten it because there were no items in the bowl except a small air pump which i guess he could have rubbed against?

New Threads