Cichlid Id

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I got my new 90-gallon fish tank yesterday and it came with fish... The previous owners weren't very knowledgeable about fish so they didn't know what kind of fish these were. I think Picture C is some type of eartheater but I'm not sure. Hopefully, you guys can help ID these guys so I know how to care for them.

Attachments

MWR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The first one appears to be Altifrons or Orange head Tapajos - Geophagus. Third picture is possibly Satanoperca Juripari.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I searched up the Orange head Tapajos and my fish looks like that but mine has barely any orange. Could be from the stress from the drive and everything so maybe he/she will color up after a while. I also searched up the Satanoperca Juripari and I think your right. If he/she is a Satanoperca Juripari I'll have to rehome him/her right?

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Top is a Red/Orange Head Tapajos, middle is a Convict, bottom I think is Satanoperca mapiritiensis, based largely on the pale dark stripe...

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So first 2 are pretty much confirmed. Should I try to get some more photos of the last one? Why are there so many similar looking fish lol

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Middle fish is a Honduran Red Point, an undescribed species related to the convict. Identifiable by the blue body color.

The Geophagus is a Red Head Tapajos, fairly young, but the double stripes are pretty much a dead giveaway.

The Satanoperca is most likely leucosticta, from the spotted cheeks and the fact that this species is widely kept and bred commercially. S. mapiritensis is still pretty rare in the hobby.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for everyone's help I really appreciate it . Its nice to know what fish I have now.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The santanoperca really do best in shoals of 6-10 with a sand substrate and subdued lighting. Their breeding behavior is some of the most interesting in the family IMO. Keeping them correctly is extremely rewarding.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
the santanoperca is definitely my favorite out of these 3 guys. The picture doesn't do him justice lol. My LFS unfortunately does not have any Leucostica in stock right now so I don't know if I will be able to get more. Also I don't think i can fit 6 in my 90 gallon. Are they okay on their own or should I try to find at least 1 more? or should I try to re home him? The fish are my top priority so I want to do what I can to make them happy.

Right now the tank has gravel substrate but I do plan to go with sand when I can afford it.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Play sand is absolutely fine and a 90 would house 4-5 very comfortably for life. They use fallen leaves and small pebbles to spawn in a pit in the sand. It’s a an amazing thing to see. Two bags of 3 dollar play sand or pool filter sand and you’re good to go

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you happen to know of any breeders or online stores that have them? My LFS has 8 different Geophagus but no Leucostica and I can't find any online so far. If I found 3 more to put in there could I still have other fish with them or would it be fully stocked? Also are they okay with plants? and is the pool filter sand okay for plants? I've never had sand in an aquarium so its kinda new territory for me.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rooted planted are a no go. Satanoperca is almost i distinguishable from geophagus which literally means “earth eater.” Anubias may work tied to wood but I’ve never tried it. Wood and rock structure is their natural habitat.

S. Leucostica is available through wet spot pretty often and can be found on aquabid.com almost all the time.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Darn, I was hoping to have a fully planted aquarium. The tank game with 2 plants tied to wood I don't know what they are though. What if I had rooted plants and stuck rocks around it? or would they still dig them up?

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on the fish. If there’s a big enough Area of sand probably not but I’ve never tried it.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm, I might try to go kinda heavy planted with rocks and stuff on one side and really open with some wood on the other. Do they eat snails? I remember reading I should get Malaysian trumpet snails to help stir up the sand so I don't get gas pockets. Do you have any recommendations on the brand for the pool filter sand? Also, will they get aggressive with other fish at all?

Also, do they need to have a ratio of male and female?

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom