Cichlid id needed please

Darla4022

can anybody id this cichlid peacock? I can't find him anywhere! tia Darla4022

Attachments

seamonkeything

That fish look like some kind of African peacock chiclid, especially like an OB hybrid. Personally, I love fish hybrids, but if you only like purebred chiclids that's fine for me.

Darla4022

seamonkeything said:
That fish look like some kind of African peacock chiclid, especially like an OB hybrid. Personally, I love fish hybrids, but if you only like purebred chiclids that's fine for me.
I like all of them purebred or not. I was thinking that is what it was an O.B do females have eggspots on their analfins??

seamonkeything

Females have no egg spots, it almost always the males. It is used in their mating ritual.

Not my tank, but shows how Malawi chiclids breed

MacZ

It is a peacock, but a hybrid. I neither know that colour from peacocks nor the markings like that. Something tells me the fish is not ok, but I can't pinpoint it. Also the picture is not clear enough for more.

Darla4022

MacZ said:
It is a peacock, but a hybrid. I neither know that colour from peacocks nor the markings like that. Something tells me the fish is not ok, but I can't pinpoint it. Also the picture is not clear enough for more.
I didnt think females had eggspots, but wasnt for sure. that is cool the way they mate. The fish in pic is still at store, I didnt get it.

seamonkeything

Wise choice, you dont wast a fish that shows any symptoms of disease.

MacZ

seamonkeything said:
Wise choice, you dont wast a fish that shows any symptoms of disease.
I was not talking about disease. Something else. But still better this way anyway.

A201

What ever combination of Peacocks came together to make that hybrid, the premature coloration is likely due to artificial hormones.

Demeter

Just to clarify, there are several species/individuals in which the females also have egg spots on their analfins. Generally the spots on females aren't as plentiful or bright as on mature males but females can definitely have them too. Also, not all males will have egg spots either. Do not rely on the egg spot method for sexing African cichlids, it is better to vent them or simply watch their behavior for a while then guess their genders.

Darla4022

Demeter said:
Just to clarify, there are several species/individuals in which the females also have egg spots on their analfins. Generally the spots on females aren't as plentiful or bright as on mature males but females can definitely have them too. Also, not all males will have egg spots either. Do not rely on the egg spot method for sexing African cichlids, it is better to vent them or simply watch their behavior for a while then guess their genders.
yes, thats what I was doing to sex them, thats why I asked that question. Since its not reliable I will have to just guess whether it male /female, lol, don't know how to vent and also cant catch the fish anyway.

A201 said:
What ever combination of Peacocks came together to make that hybrid, the premature coloration is likely due to artificial hormones.
aahhh I see

A201

Judging by the extended analfin on the OP's pictured Peacock, IMO
probably male.
I 100% agree with Demeter about the unreliability of using egg spots to determine African Cichlid gender. Pic #1 is my female Blue Dragon Peacock, w/ several egg spots. Pic #2 is her brother.
20200922_164946.jpg20200922_165624.jpg

MacZ

A201 said:
Yeah, that was the diffuse idea in my head. Made the bell finally ring when I read that.

chromedome52

Actually, the OB pattern is unique in that the fish are born with it, rather than developing the mature male coloration at a certain age. That's because both males and females can have this color pattern. It also makes them more difficult to sex until a male reaches maturity and takes on the deep colors of breeding. Most OB types have males that show blue in the pattern, at least in Mbuna.

OB peacocks are a hybrid between Aulonocara and one of the Mbuna species with an OB form.

Venting is the most dependable way to sex them for some people; I've never been able to see the differences that other people claim are there. Usually I don't need to vent to sex the fish, anyway.

A201

The male OB Peacocks do have blue mixed into their color pattern.
This guy looked virtually the same at one inch as he did at six inches.
Never a doubt about gender. I kept the OB for several years. Very territorial.
20200923_121150.jpg

Darla4022

A201 said:
The male OB Peacocks do have blue mixed into their color pattern.
This guy looked virtually the same at one inch as he did at six inches.
Never a doubt about gender. I kept the OB for several years. Very territorial.
20200923_121150.jpg
gorgeous!

I used the top fin white so-called sand, now it continuously has dust particles floating and clouding water, what can I do???? tia

MacZ

Darla4022 said:
I used the top fin white so-called sand, now it continuously has dust particles floating and clouding water, what can I do???? tia
Rinse it thoroughly before use. Or is the tank set up now? In that case: Let it settle. It will go away.

Darla4022

MacZ said:
Rinse it thoroughly before use. Or is the tank set up now? In that case: Let it settle. It will go away.
yes I rinsed the heck out of it, it is now setup. i have a new fx6 filter on it and still dust and clouds. seems the catfish stir it up and the dust floats. its been 2 days so far.

MacZ

Takes some time. Make sure the filteroutlet doesn't stir up more.

Top Bottom