cichlid ID help please!!!

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Chicken farmer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Chicken farmer

Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

I am having to tank a couple tanks down because of to much humidity casing mold so. i am selling my cichlids and putting something else in my 55 gallon.

soo.. could anyone help me ID these 2. The blues aren't very colorful right now. And the silver/ black on is it female or male? i was thinking female but the last few months it seems more like a male. thanks!

EDIT: I know they yellows are labs thanks though! Just need the blue and silver with black id.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. OP
    OP
    Chicken farmer

I can try to get another pic of the blue, their fast.

3. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

The yellow ones look like labs, specifically Labidochromis Caeruleus.

Not sure what the blue ones are... I just knew the yellow ones since I was recently looking at them! lol

Silver-blue one in second pic looks like a kenyi cichlid. The yellow in the second pic looks like one too maybe, or another lab.

4. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

yellow labs, cobalt zebra, rostrata hap

5. OP
    OP
    Chicken farmer

I know the yellow ones, sorry for not mentioning.

6. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

No problem :) from my understanding sexing kenyi cichlids, if it's an older one you can tell that if it's more gold/yellow, it's a male, and yours looks female with the black/silver coloration to it.

edit: If it's a kenyi that is, I'm still new to cichlids but from the ones I've looked at that's what it reminds me of.

7. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

its too early for me to tell whether the cobalt zebra is male because I have females with one egg spot. males will multiple rows on the bottom and top. the silver one is a rostrata hap, and to me it appears to be male

8. OP
    OP
    Chicken farmer

the cobalts im pretty sure are male. they get deep blue and chase the other cichlids.

What do you mean rostrata hap? i googled but didnt find anything...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice