Cichlid holding eggs

Broggy

Reaction score
amonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:40
ph: 7.3
tempature:74*

today is the second day of holding eggs in her mouth. this is my first batch of fry. I have separated her in a 10 gallon and she dosn't swim around at all, probably normal, but I'm also worried about her not eating for like 3 weeks. I have read somewhere that you can just feed her really small fish flakes, has anyone done this before?

OP
Broggy

Broggy

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
What type of cichlid? What size tank? What are the other inhabitants in your tank?
OB peacock african, she was doing fine in the 55 gallon before this. its just her in the 10 gallon for now

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Broggy said:
OB peacock african, she was doing fine in the 55 gallon before this. its just her in the 10 gallon for now
I was just asking a couple other questions so some cichlid owners can hopefully help u out. I'm just guessing but i think many will say that you should have left her in the 55. A201 or MacZ might have some insight for you

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's all fine, mouthbrooder females usually easily get through the brooding period.

Most important question is actually: Do you want to keep the fry and do you have the room for up to 30 fry?

If you want to keep them, leave the mother in the main tank for some time, when you can see the fry have hatched, strip them from the mother's mouth in the 10 gallon and grow them there, until you can give them away.

If you don't want to keep them: Put the fish back in the main tank and let nature take its course. Usually depending on stocking and decorations 1-3 fry per batch survive.

Far more problematic will be the future. It can happen that Malawi cichlids breed without end. Meaning after the fry are gone the next batch will not let you wait long. A female may get through 1-2 batches right after another, but after that needs a break. Maybe get 2-3 more females or think about giving her away after this batch of eggs.

New Threads