75 Gallon Tank Cichlid Growth Question!!

Molasses

Hello! I wanted to ask a question about cichlid growth rate, specifically the Severum and Blood Parrot. I've had my Severum and Blood Parrot for 2 and 3 years respectively. They rush to get food when fed, and seem to be healthy.

The problem is, I haven't really noticed them grow all that much in the time I've had them. Granted, I got them at pretty big sizes, but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to grow more than they have. The severum is about 5.5 inches and the BP is about 4.5 inches.

I'm worried they're not being fed enough, especially given the weird functionality of the BP's mouth. The tank is fed standard flakes, and I mix in brined shrimp and algae wafers (which the severum steals from the pleco). I've tried giving them Cichlid Gold mid sized pellets, but the BP can't seem to get it to stick in his mouth and the Severum doesn't always want to eat it when I put it in.

The tank is fed once a day. I feel I feed a decent amount (food is able to hit the floor of the tank), but my family takes care of the tank while I'm at college and they say they think they underfeed due to being worried about ammonia. I am now back home for good so I want to be able to fix the feeding if necessary.

Is this normal? Or should I be doing more/picking new food?

Nanonanny

I would feed smaller amounts 3 times a day. A nutritional, high in protein/calcium food will put weight on them. Btw, they are not small by any means. Seems normal size to me.

Might try bug bites, or Omega one cichlid pellets.
I mix vita Chem, nourish and plankton along with garlic guard in my food. They enjoy it, and I know they are getting proper nutrients and vitamins for growth and health.

Molasses

I would feed smaller amounts 3 times a day. A nutritional, high in protein/calcium food will put weight on them. Btw, they are not small by any means. Seems normal size to me.

Might try bug bites, or Omega one cichlid pellets.
I mix vita Chem, nourish and plankton along with garlic guard in my food. They enjoy it, and I know they are getting proper nutrients and vitamins for growth and health.
I appreciate your time, thank you.

Noroomforshoe

Hikari makes mostly junk food these days/years and cichlid gold is a big example. These are the ingredients
Fish meal, wheat flour, flaked corn, brewers dried yeast, corn gluten meal, wheat starch, rice bran, spirulina, garlic, DL-methionine, astaxanthin, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine

Try things like bug bites cichlid formula, new life spectra cichlid. Xtream big Fella, compare the ingredients of any fish or pet food that you buy, with focus on the first 5 as those are the largest amounts of food added. And make sure the pleco has some driftwood. Pleco need food besides algae wafers, many of them are not herbivores. But I have yet to find an omnivore wafer worth recommending.

But I dont know how to help you with the blood parrot, I have heard of the issue in arguments about breeding them, or not breeding them, but I have never seen a solution.

Molasses

Hikari makes mostly junk food these days/years and cichlid gold is a big example. These are the ingredients
Fish meal, wheat flour, flaked corn, brewers dried yeast, corn gluten meal, wheat starch, rice bran, spirulina, garlic, DL-methionine, astaxanthin, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine

Try things like bug bites cichlid formula, new life spectra cichlid. Xtream big Fella, compare the ingredients of any fish or pet food that you buy, with focus on the first 5 as those are the largest amounts of food added. And make sure the pleco has some driftwood. Pleco need food besides algae wafers, many of them are not herbivores. But I have yet to find an omnivore wafer worth recommending.

But I dont know how to help you with the blood parrot, I have heard of the issue in arguments about breeding them, or not breeding them, but I have never seen a solution.
Thank you. I will probably go with Xtreme as I see it everywhere.

Noroomforshoe

Thank you. I will probably go with Xtreme as I see it everywhere.
Amazon has all 3 of them. I suggest you vary things up and get at least 2 different kinds. Bug bites cichlid formula would be a good second choice as it has solder fly larvae that the others do not.
FYI, There are many different mixes of these foods, I urge you to find the exact ones, Bug Bites cichlid,
and Xtreme Big fella, some of the other formulas are not as ideal.
I hope your fish improves! Good Luck!

SparkyJones

if you are sure you've had them for 2 years or more, I'm quite sure they are finished growing and you won't get any more length or height out of them, they may get thicker.

I don't know if it's genetic limitations, or stunting caused by underfeeding that occurred before you even got them,,,,or while you had them.
generally both fish should of sized out to 7-8 inches by now, but if you bought them larger than juvenile sizes that clearly had a whole lot more growing to do, you have no idea if they were fed properly or kept properly in order to reach full potential and technically could have been undersized adults of 1 year old or older and sold as 3-6 month old fish and told they would get bigger, which they did, but not by much.

you can get fatter stockier fish at this point but you won't get bigger fish if they are 2 years old and beyond. they are just about done growing now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ed204
Replies
Views
Ed204
Replies
Views
RonJ
Replies
Views